Hi! I’m Kyle, the Penny Hoarder.

I've got some creative ways to fix your budget.

As seen on…
How People Make a Living Playing Poker
Daniel Cates Playing Poker

by - May 30, 2013 - 1 Comment

If you’ve seen any of the World Series of Poker episodes or highlights, you might be thinking that playing poker is a pipe dream left for millionaires and the much more fortunate among us. While it’s true that playing poker requires a great deal of skill, experience, and patience, it is possible for you to make a decent living if you’re willing to put in the amount of time and dedication required to work your way up into the elite leagues.

Full-Time or a Side Gig

If you’re interested in earning money through playing poker, the first thing you need to do is to decide whether or not you’ll be attempting to do so as a full-time job or as something on the side to bring in extra money. When choosing the full-time route, first ensure that your skills and talent are in line with what would be required to actually start winning and making money. If you choose to look at poker as a means for some extra income, be sure to establish boundaries and a routine that won’t interfere with your other responsibilities, hobbies, and interests.

Regardless of which option you choose, consider easing into your new role as a poker player. Playing poker requires a great deal of stamina, the ability to brush off wild swings in income/wins/losses, and will test you on most every level imaginable. Prepare yourself fully by testing the waters before you make a permanent leap.

Online or in a Casino

Another part of the poker playing decision making process is to decide how and where you’ll play the game. You could choose to play poker through an online casino such as Betway Casino, or you could try playing at a local casino in your area. Take some time to figure out which option you truly like best as you’ll be spending plenty of time either at those tables or staring at that screen!

Stay Realistic

All of those people who you see at the World Series games have worked their tails off to get where they are. Even if someone rises in the ranks quickly, it’s highly likely that they’ll bottom out at some point. When beginning your poker playing endeavor, be aware of the following pros and cons of playing the game for real money:

  • While you stand to make a boatload, you can also lose big because there is no guaranteed income in the poker world unless you score endorsements which take years to solidify (and earn!)
  • You will be tired and miss your family because the game dictates being absorbed in it to truly rise in the ranks
  • You will have to be tough skinned and level-headed to endure the roller coaster ride of winning and losing. This game has huge earning potential but is not for the faint at heart!
  • Be careful to budget wisely so you’re able to endure the financial ups and downs without losing your home, going into debt, etc.

 

Do you play poker? If so, do you play for fun or for income?


  • http://www.stocktipsnetwork.com/ Conor Foley

    I’d suggest Poker is like any other form of investing. Less than 20% of the players make all the money due to the lack of discipline of the other 80%.
    I tried it for a while and I found boredom was my downfall. Rather than only playing the hands where the odds should have been in my favor, I always wanted to see the next card, and this invariably cost me my stack.
    Like other forms of investing, I’s highly recommend playing it for Demo Dollars before putting any real cash on the line. You’ll quickly realise how difficult it is!

More Articles