So this one is about as simple as it gets.
Google, Nielsen, and Media Insiders Panel are paying participants to install their apps on your computers/smartphones/etc. And they’ll pay you for every month you keep them installed.
You don’t have to do anything but keep them installed and you’ll earn up to $345/year. Pretty easy, huh?
Here’s how to do it…
1. Google Screenwise Panel ($8 after week 1, $2/week after that = $110/year)
The panel is designed to help Google understand web and mobile usage better — such as what times of day people browse, how long they stay on websites and use apps, and what types of sites and apps are popular (or not).
As a Screenwise Trends panelist, you’ll add a browser extension and/or mobile meter that will share with Google the sites you visit, the apps you use, and how you use them. Google promises that it runs in the background and won’t slow anything down.
They’ll give you $8 after you’ve been signed up for 7 days and you’ll get an additional $2 every week after that. The “cash” rewards come in the form of a gift card (you can pick between Walmart, Papa Johns, Barnes & Noble, and a bunch of others…)
You must install this one on Google Chrome. Signup for Screenwise here.
2. Media Insiders Panel (Up to $15/month + $5 Bonus after 12 weeks = $185/year)
This company has an ongoing project to help media companies better understand how consumers use, view and share TV, social, digital and mobile media. Their app “measures activities conducted on a device, such as sharing, viewing, clicking, chatting, downloading and more. The app also listens for TV shows, and, using technology of Gracenote, Inc., identifies which TV shows was captured.”
Also, at no time is a member’s personally identifiable information ever shared or released publicly, nor will they ever interact with you via social media.
If you install their app, they’ll pay you $5/month per device. And you can install the app on up to 3 devices. Plus they’ll send you a $5 bonus after the 12th week.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Sign up at MediaInsidersPanel.com
2. Install and activate the MI Mobile app onto your device(s).
3. Watch your e-mail for important information and instructions on next steps.
Here are the devices that they support:
- Android™ smartphones and tablets that run Android version 4.0 or greater, and are not rooted. We also accept the Kindle Fire HD, but not the first generation Kindle Fire.
- iPhone®5, iPad®, iPad mini®, and iPod touch® devices that run iOS version 5.0 or greater.
***You’ve got be a US resident, 13 years or older, and have a valid email address.
3. Nielsen Mobile Panel (Up to $50/Year)
Update 03/17/15: They’ve temporarily stopped accepting new applicants. Please check back with us in a few weeks.
You know the company that tracks TV rating? Well, apparently they also want to measure the popularity of websites and online videos. From Nielsen’s site:
“In order for us to report accurate data to the mobile industry, we use Nielsen’s proprietary applications and profiles to measure the normal activity of your phone, tablet, or other mobile device. All data transmitted is encrypted and anonymous. All you have to do is download the Nielsen Mobile App or install our profile, depending on your device, and then continue using your mobile device as you usually do – that’s it! The Nielsen Mobile software is undetectable and will not affect your device’s performance or battery life.”
Want to give it a try?
1. Sign up here. (You cannot directly download this from the app store). You need a smartphone or an iPad.
2. Once you’ve registered they will send you instructions on how to install the app. After completing the installation, you’ll be asked to restart your phone.
As a member of the Nielsen Mobile Panel, you’ll earn up to $50 a year just for using your phone like you normally do.
*This one is for iOS only. You’ll need to have an iPhone or an iPad in order to participate.
I know $345/year doesn’t sound like a ton of money. But, think of it like this – if you put that $345 into a retirement account at Lending Club and earned 14% year (pretty easy to do at Lending Club, here’s a link to my strategy), you’d have $180,377 saved up in 30 years!! Not too shabby.
Good luck Penny Hoarders!