All my engaged friends lament about the insane cost of weddings.
They need to reconsider their options, though. Apparently they just need to move to Russia and marry the son of an oil tycoon — because they might get 1 billion dollars to pay for the most lavish wedding ever.
At least that’s what happened last week when the son of Mikhael Gutseriev, worth $6.2 billion according to Forbes, got hitched.
Said Gutseriev, 28, married Khadija Uzhakhova, 20, in a wedding that’s been estimated to cost nearly $1 billion.
Even for a billionaire, that’s insane. Here are more details on the absurd affair.
How the Heck Did They Spend $1 Billion on a Wedding?
So, how does one spend a billion dollars on a single event? It’s pretty easy, really.
- Spend four years searching for the perfect bride
- Invite 600 of your closest friends as guests
- Give them each a gold box inscribed with your names, because why not?
- Decorate with wayyyy more than 600 flowers
- Order a ginormous cake twice the size of any human
- Wear a custom Elie Saab gown that costs 1 million dollars and weighs 25 pounds, plus a $7 million tiara
Oh, and J. Lo.
Yep, the wedding included performances by Jenny from the block, Enrique Iglesias and Sting.
And the couple had a second wedding in London the week after.
Ugh. Moving on.
How to Save Money When Planning a Wedding
What if you’re not looking to spend a billion dollars?
If you’re planning your own wedding — and you’re not marrying the heir to a Russian oil fortune — you might prefer these articles instead:
Your Turn: What do you think of this wedding? Was it a waste of money or a fairy tale?
Susan Shain, senior writer for The Penny Hoarder, is always seeking adventure on a budget. Visit her blog at susanshain.com, or say hi on Twitter @susan_shain.