3 MIN READ
Underwhelmed by That Gift Card You Got? You Still Might Be Able to Use It
Someone gave you a gift card! That’s cool. It was probably your in-laws, or your well-meaning aunt who has no idea how you like to spend your free time.
What do you do if you just don’t imagine yourself using this newly gifted gift card? What if it’s a gift card for the Olive Garden and you don’t like endless breadsticks or fun?
You could sell it. We know a thing or two about selling gift cards for almost their full value.
But what if your gift card comes with a side of guilt? Will your conscience let you rest if you sell it? What about if you give it to a friend? Should you just let it burn a hole in your pocket forever?
You seriously cannot get behind endless breadsticks? Explain this to me.
What to Do With the Gift Card You Don’t Want
Here’s a tip. Turn that gift card over. Take a good look at the back. If there are several logos or a lot of fine print, you’re probably in luck. That restaurant or store chain probably has some sister brands that will also accept your gift card.
Chances are, you’ll dig one of the group’s other brands.
Don’t believe me?
Retail Stores That Accept Each Other’s Gift Cards
Check out these connected retail chains that accept one another’s gift cards:
- Gap Inc. gift cards work at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta locations. They also work online.
- Walmart gift cards can be used at VUDU.com, Sam’s Club and Samsclub.com. If you’re not a Sam’s Club member, you’ll pay an additional 10% service fee on your purchase.
- Bed Bath & Beyond, buy buy BABY, Christmas Tree Shops and Harmon Face Values gift cards are good at any of the four stores.
- Bath & Body Works gift cards are also valid at White Barn locations and online.
- Crate and Barrel gift cards work at CB2, Land of Nod and their associated online shops.
- You can use a gift card from Marshalls, T.J.Maxx, or HomeGoods at any of the three stores.
- Ann Taylor gift cards also work for purchases at LOFT and Lou and Grey.
Restaurant Groups That Let You Use Your Gift Card at Any Location
If you seriously cannot stand breadsticks, there are other options.
- You can use gift cards for any Darden restaurant throughout the company, including Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse, Bahama Breeze, Seasons 52 and Yard House locations.
- Bloomin’ Brands gift cards are valid at any other restaurant in the group, provided the restaurant’s logo is present on the back of the gift card. The group’s restaurants include Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba’s Italian Grill, Bonefish Grill and Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar.
- Received a gift card to Maggiano’s Little Italy? You can use that card at Chili’s Grill & Bar, On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina and Romano’s Macaroni Grill locations.
Feeling a little better about that gift card that just isn’t a perfect fit? If you don’t see your card’s brand listed here, do a quick search online for related brands.
Want to make sure you’re good to go before trying to pay with your gift card? Call the location where you want to use your gift card to confirm it’s valid there. It’ll only take a few minutes!
Lisa Rowan is a writer and producer at The Penny Hoarder.
The Penny Hoarder Promise: We provide accurate, reliable information. Here’s why you can trust us and how we make money.