These 2 Companies Will Literally Pay You to Help Fight Climate Change
Some of the links in this post are from our sponsors. We’re letting you know because it’s what Honest Abe would do. After all, he is on our favorite coin.
Climate change: Who needs it, right?
We know you want to do your part for the environment, fight climate change and help stave off the impending doom of rising oceans and dying polar bears.
But you don’t exactly want to rely on a horse and buggy for transportation or do all your late-night reading by candlelight, either. We get that.
So we found two ways you can reduce your carbon footprint and barely change the way you consume energy at home. Watt a deal.
Oh, and did we mention these companies will pay you to go green? Yeah.
Take five minutes today to sign up for these two free services to earn money while boosting your clean energy consumption.
1. Get Paid up to $300 to Use Less Energy at Home
California residents can earn $300 a year by syncing their utility accounts to an energy-sharing program called OhmConnect and agreeing to help reduce energy usage by about an hour a week. (Some, like San Diego resident John Hastie, have earned more than $400 a month!)
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up for a free OhmConnect account, and sync it with your online utility account though Pacific Gas & Electric Company, San Diego Gas & Electric or Southern California Edison.
- Once or twice a week, you’ll receive a text message to participate in an #OhmHour, an hour of reduced energy consumption. Turn down unnecessary lights, hold off on the laundry and the dishwasher and opt for a fan instead of the A/C. It’s a perfect time to go outside, play games on your phone or go to dinner or the movies.
- OhmConnect will pay you in cash for reducing your electricity consumption during #OhmHours
Why? By cutting your electricity use, you help keep demand low and prevent unclean power sources from kicking in.
Your earnings are based on how much power you save. The more you save, the higher your OhmConnect status, which helps you earn even more.
OhmConnect's currently offering a $10 bonus for new users who activate their accounts before June 30.
2. Opt for Clean Energy — Without Installing Solar Panels
You can promote using clean energy, even if you don’t live near wind turbines or have solar panels on your home.
With renewable energy company Arcadia Power, you can offset your monthly energy consumption with 100% renewable sources in about two minutes.
Arcadia Power matches each kilowatt-hour of power you use with a kilowatt-hour of wind energy. Basically the company purchases certified renewable energy certificates in your name, so others can take advantage of clean energy in their area.
To get started:
- Find out if your area qualifies.
- Create an account, providing your local utility information and payment information.
- Arcadia will automatically pay your utility bill each month, siphoning a portion into renewable energy.
- When you sign up your home or apartment (yup, renters are eligible, too!), you’ll get $20 off your next electric bill.
Plus, Arcadia will search for a lower energy rate in your area and send you alerts if it finds one — so it could save you even more money on your electric bill.
The site even has a dashboard that lets you keep track of how you’re helping the environment.
“I’m always looking for ways to be green in life, and one of my biggest contributions to the planet is the energy I use at home, so I like that Arcadia can help me have a small impact there,” says The Penny Hoarder founder Kyle Taylor, who tried the service.
“It costs you nothing to do something good — only two minutes of your time,” Taylor says.
This guy uses Arcadia Power to get clean energy without pricy solar panels.
Get Paid to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint and Fight Climate Change
Going green doesn’t have to mean giving up everything — or anything, really — you love about the 21st century.
Check these companies out to start saving energy and getting paid today.