Spread the Love With These 11 Low-Cost Valentine’s Day Gifts
Whether you think Valentine’s Day is the greatest day of the year or something dreamed up by greeting card companies, it’s a difficult holiday to ignore.
Heart-shaped balloons and little candies wrapped in red foil are everywhere, reminding you that the (perhaps manufactured) national day of romance is just around the corner.
If you’re looking for affordable gift ideas for your sweetheart, your kid or even your favorite pet, this guide can help. Just remember: No chocolate for the pooches.
Valentine Gifts for the Special People in Your Life
The best presents come from your heart not your wallet, so don’t feel like you have to take out a small loan to afford an expensive gift for your valentine.
Try these ideas instead.
- Buy a budget-friendly bottle of wine and some nice cheese or chocolate, then have a picnic on your living room floor or (weather permitting) a nearby park.
- Create a mixtape or hand-curated Spotify playlist to woo your honey with your favorite sentimental songs.
- Skip the pricy jewelry and use the money to pay your sweetie’s debt or build up their savings account.
- Check out the dollar store to pick up some scented candles, build a grooming kit or snag a magical coffee mug.
- Spell out a sweet or saucy message using confectionary hearts.
- Before buying a bouquet of flowers, check to see if you’re eligible for membership club discounts or cash back on rewards credit card.
- Visit the local thrift store or consignment shop for fabulous gently-worn clothing finds.
- If you’re handy with a needle and thread, cross-stitch something sentimental or clever.
- See what you’ve got lying around the house that can be upcycled into something new.
- Give your besties paper fortune cookies with personalized fortunes or bite-sized s’more kits for Galentine’s Day.
- Spoil yourself on Valentine’s Day with a selection of DIY spa treatments you can do right at home.
Lisa McGreevy is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder. Keep the balloons — give her the foil-wrapped chocolate.