Here’s the Complete List of Our Coronavirus Coverage (Updated Daily)
Perhaps the only good thing to come out of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, is the realization that we’re all in this together.
We at The Penny Hoarder are committed to bringing you ways to protect yourself, your family and your finances from the spread of the virus.
Since we began our coverage, the federal government has passed emergency legislation known as the CARES Act — or the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act — to address public health and economic issues due to the coronavirus.
We’re continuing to add articles addressing your questions about what the act will mean for you and your finances.
We’ve rounded up topics that we think are most relevant to the situation we’re all living through right now. We’ll update it regularly to continue to bring you the most recent information.
How to Protect Yourself and Your Finances From the Coronavirus
Regardless of whether you contract the coronavirus or are simply affected by strategies that governments and businesses are implementing to help stop its spread, there are ways to lessen the impact on your finances.
We’ve broken down our coverage into categories so figuring out how to deal with your finances can be one less thing you need to stress about.
It’s tough to survive any crisis if there isn’t any money coming in.
- Check Out Our Expanded Work-From-Home Job Portal, Updated Every Weekday
- Liveops Is Hiring 10,000 Remote Customer Service and Sales Agents
- This Platform Connects Businesses With People Who Want to Support Them
- With Papa App, You Can Earn Up to $15 an Hour Helping the Elderly
- This June 1 Webinar with Amazon Will Show You How to Self-Publish
- With Facebook Shops, You Can Now Sell Directly from Your Business Page
- Get Paid to Help Seniors Sheltering in Place as a Papa Pal
- Magic Johnson Is Giving Minority-Owned Small Businesses a $100M Assist
- FedEx Is Giving Small Businesses $5,000 Grants. Here’s How to Apply
- 17 Tips to Get the Most out of Your Virtual Internship
- You Can Now Take Amazon Workshop for Sellers Online from Anywhere
- 7 Things to Do in the Summer for College Students When Jobs are Scarce
- How to File for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance: a State-by-State Guide
- States Are Hiring Thousands of Contact Tracers for Up to $30 an Hour
- Shopify Strives to Boost Small Businesses With New App, Shop
- 5 Ways to Plum Your Talents for Money During the Pandemic
- With Incomes Down, These People Aren’t Buckling. They’re Getting Creative
- Paycheck Protection Program Funds Get Replenished, Applications Reopen
- Facebook Is Giving Small Businesses $100 Million, but Deadlines Loom
- These 6 Emergency Grants for Artists Can Provide Relief During COVID-19
- Uber Delivery Services Introduced as Rideshare Requests Plummet
- Make Money While Social Distancing by Tutoring Kids
- This Small Business Resource Hub Can Help You Through the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Writing in Quarantine? Submit Your Work to These Journals — and Get Paid
- 5 Tips to Help You Make More Money at Your Grocery Delivery Side Gig
- Don’t Get Scammed: Land Legit Work-From-Home Jobs With This Expert Guide
- Freelance Writing Gigs Drying Up? Here Are 8 Financial Aid Programs
- Uber Fares Have Dropped 94%. Here’s What Drivers Should Do
- Coronavirus Decluttering Spree: Sell Stuff Online for Extra Cash
- This Company Is Hiring 10K Remote Support Reps Right Now. Here’s How to Apply
- Amazon Is Hiring an Additional 75,000 Workers Due to Coronavirus
- Instacart Needs Shoppers. Here’s How to Get Started
- Dear Penny: Will Coronavirus Doom My Kids’ Plans to Work This Summer?
- 6 Strategies for Freelancers Seeking Coronavirus Paycheck Protection Loan
- Coronavirus Webinars: Free Resources, Advice for Small Businesses
- Amid the Coronavirus Outbreak, Some Businesses Flourish
- Here Are 11 Side Gigs YouCan Do While Social Distancing
- Here’s How Gig Workers, Freelancers Can Get Unemployment Amid Coronavirus
- Grocers, Delivery Companies Hiring 700,000+ Workers in Response to COVID-19
- Coronavirus Means Instacart Needs More Shoppers — 300,000 More
- Here’s How Small Businesses Can Get Help During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Major Employers Grant Paid Sick Leave to Hourly Workers Due to Coronavirus
- Amazon to Hire 100,000 Distribution and Delivery Workers Due to Coronavirus
- Gig Companies Respond to the Coronavirus. Here’s What Workers Can Expect
- What to Do When You Need to Take a Sick Day – and Still Make Rent
- 7 Tips From Real Moms on Working From Home With Kids (and Doing It Well)
Whether you’re looking for a job or making the switch to the work-from-home life, we could all use a little guidance.
- Codecademy to Teach 100,000 Unemployed Workers How to Code for Free
- Finding a Job Is a Tough Job in Itself. Stick to a Schedule to Stay on Task
- What to Do if Your Boss Wants You Back at Work… but You Have No Child Care
- These Expert Tips Can Help Your Linkedin Profile Stand Out to Employers
- Noom Is Hiring Hundreds of Virtual Health Coaches. Here’s How to Land a Job
- This Easy 3-Step Guide Will Help You Learn How to Write a Cover Letter
- My New Normal: An Occasional Series on Working from Home in a Pandemic
- My New Normal: After 3 Months In My Seoul Apartment, Isolation Is Ending
- Military Members, Vets, Spouses Can Attend This Virtual Job Fair May 14
- My New Normal: Coaching Crossfit Workouts From My Yard
- Learn How to Showcase Your Transferable Skills With This Webinar on May 12
- 8 Tips to Help You Survive Working From Home With a Pre-Toddler
- My New Normal: My Online Music Lessons Are in High Demand
- Job Seekers: Here’s a Step-by-Step Guide on How to Write a Resume
- 5 Hospitality Worker Grants for Those Impacted by the Coronavirus Pandemic
- 10 Courses to Help You Learn New Skills During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Meet Facebook, Verizon at Virtual Job Fair for Women in Tech on April 30
- Tips to Conquer Virtual Meetings and Other Remote Work Challenges
- Tips to Get Through the Coronavirus Crisis With Slow Internet
- Searching for a Remote Job? Try These 29 Work-From-Home Companies
- Find a Work-From-Home Job During This Virtual Fair April 16
- Coronavirus Bill Expands Paid Sick Leave. Here’s How to Get It
- How to File for Unemployment If You’re Out of Work Because of Coronavirus
- Meet MOOCs: These Online Certifications Will Help You With Your Soft Skills
- Laid Off or Furloughed? Coronavirus Stimulus Package Contains Money for You
- Wear Pants — and Other Tips to Prepare for a Virtual Interview or Job Fair
- Switching to Remote Work? Prepare Your Home Office (And Your Mind)
- These 15 Smart Tips Helped Me Survive Unemployment When I Lost My Job
By staying calm and avoiding panic spending, you’ll emerge in better financial shape once the crisis has passed.
- You Can Take a Vacation Safely During Coronavirus. Here’s How
- Money-Saving Habits to Hold Onto Even as You Venture Out More
- Here’s How to Host a Virtual Baby Shower Everyone Will Enjoy
- Thinking of Calling a Mental Health Hotline? Here’s What to Expect
- How to Protect Your Finances From an Abuser During the Pandemic
- For Brunch or Book Club: 7 Free Services for Keeping in Touch with Family
- Should You Sign Up for Instacart? Our Honest Review Will Help You Decide
- Strategies to Stay Fed and Save Money Amid Rising Food Prices
- How to Figure Out Summer 2020 Child Care Plans Amid a Pandemic
- Need to Boost Up Your Savings? Here Are 8 Ways
- Stretch Your Dollars by Using the Parts of Produce You Usually Throw Away
- Here’s How Long These Fruits and Veggies Last (and How to Make Them Last Longer)
- 9 Ways to Help Family and Friends Without Digging a Hole for Yourself
- DIY Fitness Gear: How to Make Weights and Other Workout Equipment
- Here’s How to Stop Throwing Out Half-Eaten Bags of Slimy Spinach
- Skip the Store: 8 Homemade Cleaners to Keep Your Home Clean and Safe
- Live in California? 4 Ways to Stop Your Electric Bill From Spiking During Quarantine
- Should You Buy a Car Amid the Coronavirus Pandemic?
- Itching to Start Traveling Again? Here’s What You Should Consider First
- Don’t Click ‘Buy’ Before Downloading These Chrome Shopping Extensions
- How to Plan an Elegant Mother’s Day Dinner at Home (No Restaurant Needed)
- Plane Tickets Are Super Cheap Right Now – But Should You Buy Them?
- 5 Meaningful Mother’s Day Gifts You Can Make for Free
- Dogs Are Isolating, Too. 4 Cheap Ways to Spoil Your Pet During Quarantine
- Instead of Cancelling Your Car Insurance to Save Money, Do These Things
- Airlines Respond to Coronavirus with Bonuses for Frequent Flyers
- How to Celebrate Mother’s Day Even When You’re Far Apart from Your Mom
- How to Take Care of Your Teeth During Self-Isolation, According to Dentists
- Have a Flex Spending Account? Here Are 50+ Surprising Things It May Pay For
- How to Have a Low-Cost Mother’s Day While Quarantined at Home
- Keeping Romance Alive in Quarantine: 10 At-Home Date Night Ideas
- 16 Clever Ways to Repurpose Things You’d Normally Throw Away
- Plans Ruined by Coronavirus? You Should At Least Get a Refund
- These 10 Deals Will Help Make Working From Home More Bearable
- 9 Products to Help You Stay Active and Healthy While Working From Home
- What to Do if You Have to Move During the Pandemic
- They’re Used to Living on Less. Here’s Their Advice for the Coronavirus Era
- Coronavirus Cancellations: What to Expect, from Delta to Disney
- Peloton, Fender and More Are Offering Free Classes During the Pandemic
- Here’s How to Safely Remove Your Fake Nails During Self-Isolation
- Shelves Stripped of Butter and Eggs? Here Are 10 Baking Substitutions
- 5 Smart Things to Do With Your Stimulus Check
- A Pandemic is Stressful. Take Care of Your Mental Health During Coronavirus
- How to Refresh Your Home’s Look for Free, According to Interior Decorators
- How to Barter: Getting What You Need Without Spending Money
- 6 Unexpected Ways to Cut Debt, Lower Bills and Secure Your Future During The Pandemic
- From Drinks to Dessert: Here Are 11 Yummy Recipes for Overripe Avocados
- 8 Ways to Save Energy Now That You’re Working From Home All Day Long
- 16 Simple Ways to Stop Wasting Food and Slice Your Grocery Budget
- Here’s What to Do With Overripe Peaches Instead of Throwing Them Out
- 7 Businesses Giving Out Health Care Worker Freebies During the Coronavirus
- Treat Yo’ Self… for Pennies: 24 Spa Treatments You Can Do at Home
- Stylists Offer DIY Hair Care Tips for a World Without Salons
- Wondering What to Do With Overripe Bananas? Try These 15 Recipes
- Take the Pantry Challenge to Save Money and Reduce Food Waste — Here’s How
- 3 Simple Ways to Make Face Masks Using Things You Already Have
- Relying on Amazon While Sheltering at Home? Stay Safe with These Tips
- Keep the Kids Learning at Home With These 12 Free Educational Resources
- I Celebrated My Birthday Alone During Coronavirus. It Really Wasn’t Lonely
- This 24-Minute Money Challenge is Perfect For People Stuck at Home
- Sheltering in Place with Kids? Check Out These Easy Home Activities
- Quarantined? 9 Free Things to Do to Keep Boredom at Bay
- Feeling Anxious? 3 Things Financial Advisors Say You Should Do This Week
- We Broke Down the Top 5 Grocery Delivery Services So You Don’t Have to
- How to Store 13 Fruits and Veggies So They Stay Fresh (and Save You Money)
- Want to Build a Cheap Home Gym? Here’s How to Spend Less Than $100
- 6 Steps to Take Right Now to Prepare for a Recession
- 13 Free and Effective Ways to Manage Your Coronavirus-Related Stress
- 7 Resources to Help Meet Essential Needs in the Face of the Coronavirus
- 5 Ways to Cope With Coronavirus Isolation Without Wrecking Your Finances
- These 9 Pantry Essentials Will Let You Cook Practically Anything
It may be tempting to toss your budget out the window during a crisis, but you need a budget more than ever amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- After Two Months at Home, It’s Probably Time to Adjust Your Budget
- How to Hack the Cash Envelope System to Forgo Using Cash
- Dear Penny: I’m Stuck at Home With Dog Fever. Can I Afford to Adopt?
- Here’s How to Negotiate With Your Landlord If You Can’t Pay Rent
- COVID-19 Has Changed the Way We Buy Groceries. Here’s What to Keep in Mind
- This Advice Will Help You Make the Best of Your Coronavirus Relief Check
- Before Spending Your Emergency Fund, Ask Yourself These Questions
- 5 Tips for Adjusting Your Budget When You’re Facing a Crisis
Taxes aren’t disappearing, but deadlines are delayed and you’ll probably see some extra money in the form of a stimulus check. Here’s what you need to know.
- How to Get Your Coronavirus Stimulus Check if You’re Homeless
- Dear Penny: What Can You Do if Your Stimulus Check Came Up Short?
- IRS to Take Stimulus Check Calls. Good Luck Getting a Human to Answer
- 7 Situations Where You Could Get More Stimulus Money in 2021
- SSI Recipients Waiting for Stimulus Checks Should Get Paid This Week
- Here’s Who Should Submit Bank Info ASAP to Avoid Longer Stimulus Check Wait
- You’re Supposed to Return Stimulus Checks for the Dead. What if You Don’t?
- 9 Ways to Track Your Coronavirus Check if Your Status Is Still Unavailable
- Where’s My Coronavirus Check? 8 Reasons You Haven’t Gotten Your Money
- Here’s Our Most Up-to-Date Info on the $1,200 Coronavirus Stimulus Checks: 32 Questions Answered
- What ‘Payment Status Not Available’ Really Means for Your Coronavirus Check
- IRS Tool Lets You Add Bank Info for Coronavirus Check — But Not Change It
- How to Find Out Exactly When Your Coronavirus Check Will Arrive
- It Just Got Easier for People Who Don’t File Taxes to Get a Coronavirus Check
- Coronavirus Relief Checks Are Almost Here. 3 Questions We Still Have
- Officials Are Warning About Stimulus Check Scams. Here’s What to Look For
- Social Security and Coronavirus Checks: 4 Times You Should Still File Taxes
- 5 Steps to Filing a Simple Tax Return So You Can Get Your Coronavirus Check
- No, You Won’t Pay Taxes on Your Coronavirus Relief Check. Here’s Why
- Here’s Exactly When You Can Expect Your Coronavirus Stimulus Check
- Dear Penny: If My Boyfriend Is My Dependent, Do I Get His Coronavirus Cash?
- $500 Coronavirus Payments for Children: How to Know if Your Kid Qualifies
- 4 Things to Consider Before Taking Advantage of the Coronavirus Tax Extension
When a pandemic hits, insurance can be more important than ever.
- Buying a Backyard Trampoline? Here’s How It’ll Affect Your Home Insurance
- 4 Affordable Telemedicine Options for Germ-Free Doctor Visits
- Driving Less Because of Coronavirus? You May Get a Refund from Your Insurer
- How to Get Health Care Coverage if You Lost Your Job Due to the Coronavirus
Investing and Retirement
Keeping your money safe — and holding onto as much of it as possible — is important, but remember that this is still a moment in your financial life. Take a deep breath, and check out how to manage your financial accounts.
- Everyone You Know Is Losing Their Jobs, So Why Is the Stock Market Surging?
- Dear Penny: Should Retirees Pay off Their Mortgage in a Volatile Market?
- Why Nursing Homes Can’t Touch Your Stimulus Check, Even if You’re on Medicaid
- How to Limit the Damage When You Use Your 401(k) in a Crisis
- 4 Ways to Invest Your Coronavirus Check (Even if You’ve Never Invested)
- Dear Penny: My Husband’s on Furlough. Should We Use 401(k) to Pay Off Home?
- Here’s When Coronavirus Checks Will Arrive if You Get Social Security, SSI
- Coronavirus Bill Makes It Easier to Tap Into Your 401(k). Should You?
- Dear Penny: I Just Retired. What Does Coronavirus Mean for My Savings?
- Don’t Panic: What to Do With Your 401(k) When the Stock Market Drops
Here’s what you need to know about protecting your credit score before, during and after the crisis.
- All 3 Credit Bureaus Are Offering Free Weekly Credit Reports for One Year
- Dear Penny: If My Credit Score Drops Due to COVID-19, Can I Recover?
In addition to encouraging mobile banking to promote social distancing, many banks are stepping up to assist customers experiencing financial hardships.
- Yes, Your Bank Deposits Are Safe — Even in a Turbulent Economy
- What Happens if IRS Sent Your Coronavirus Check to the Wrong Bank?
- These Banks Are Offering Assistance for Customers Affected by Coronavirus (Updated)
This might not seem like the ideal time for buying a house, but sometimes you have no choice. Here’s some advice if you need to buy — or sell — a home amid the pandemic.
- 4 Things to Consider Before Buying a House During the Pandemic
- Should You Sell Your House During the Pandemic? Real Estate Agents Weigh In
- Dear Penny: We’re Broken Up but Stuck Together in Our Home Due to COVID-19
Dealing with debt during non-coronavirus times can be tough enough — here’s how to deal with it amid COVID-19.
- Is the FIRE Dead? 3 Ways to Adjust Your Financial Independence Goals
- Going to College This Fall? Here’s How to Plan Around a Pandemic
- How to Figure Out if Your Landlord Is Allowed to Evict You Right Now
- Credit Limit Lowered? 4 Things You Can Do Right Now to Fix It
- 5 Ways to Pay Off Credit Card Debt You Racked Up in Quarantine
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Deciding if Student Loan Forbearance Can Help You
- Thinking of Delaying Medical Care Right Now? Here’s How That Could Cost You
- Unexpected Expense? How a Credit Card Installment Plan Can Help
- Can’t Afford College Right Now? Here Are 3 Options to Consider
- Dear Penny: Should I Use Student Loan Forbearance to Pay Off Other Debt?
- Struggling to Pay Your Mortgage? Here’s How You Can Delay Payments
- Nurses: Check Out These Student Loan Forgiveness Options Just for You
- How to FInd a Free Financial Adviser for Coronavirus-Related Money Woes
- Need Cash Now Due to COVID-19? Check Out These 4 Sources for Money
- 3 Ways to Tackle Private Student Loans if You Can’t Pay Due to COVID-19
- If Someone Owes You Child Support, Do You Get Their Coronavirus Check?
- Think You May Be Losing Your Job Soon? Make These 5 Money Moves Now
- Should You Refinance Your Mortgage Now? Here’s What You Need to Consider
- Ask these 3 Questions Before Using Your Stimulus Check for Debt Payments
- Is a HELOC a Good Idea — Even During a Pandemic?
- Bored? Anxious? 6 Ways to Save Yourself From a Retail Therapy Trap
- Here’s How to Seek Credit Card Relief If You Can’t Pay Due to Coronavirus
- 3 Ways to Keep Rolling if You’re at the End of a Car Lease During COVID-19
- Here’s What You Need to Know About Seeking Mortgage Relief
- Crisis Leave You Unable to Pay Credit Card Bills? This Program Can Help
- How You Could Get a Temporary Break From Student Loans Due to COVID-19
- Lost Income Because of the Coronavirus? Here’s How to Prioritize Bills
- How to Avoid Racking Up Student Loan Debt Due to the Coronavirus
- In the Middle of a Crisis? 6 Ways to Manage Your Finances to Avoid Debt
It’s a stressful time, but making money choices with a clear head — before anxiety or illness can set it — can help you emerge from the other side of this virus without suffering financial devastation, too. Together, we’ll all get through this.
Tiffany Wendeln Connors is a staff writer/editor at The Penny Hoarder. Read her bio and other work here, then catch her on Twitter @TiffanyWendeln.