Manage Your Finances Through Tough Times With This Crisis Money Guide
Is it over yet? And by “it,” we mean whatever latest crisis has arisen in these uncertain times.
We at The Penny Hoarder are committed to bringing you ways to protect yourself, your family and your finances as we weather the financial ups and downs of 2020.
We’re continuing to add articles about how to make, save and protect your money amid the uncertainty. But we’re also addressing the tough money issues that arise after the worst has past — and your finances need help recovering.
We’ve rounded up topics that we think are most relevant to the situation we’re all living through right now. We’ll update it regularly to continue to bring you the most relevant information. (Look for the NEW! for the latest additions.)
How to Protect Yourself and Your Finances in 2020
Regardless of whether you are directly affected by recent events or are dealing with the fallout from the latest calamity, you can use our strategies and advice to lessen the impact on your finances.
We’ve broken down our coverage into categories so figuring out how to deal with your finances can be one less thing you need to stress about.
It’s tough to survive any crisis if there isn’t any money coming in.
Where to Find Work-From-Home Jobs
- NEW! Best of Both Worlds: How to Find a Part-Time, Work-From-Home Job
- These Resources Will Help People With Disabilities Find Work-From-Home Jobs
- Hiring Practices You Should Avoid When Searching for Remote Jobs
- This Customer Service Manager is Hiring 3,000 Remote Reps Across the U.S.
- Check Out Our Expanded Work-From-Home Job Portal, Updated Every Weekday
- 25 Online Jobs That Will Help You Build the Life and Career You Want
- Don’t Get Scammed: Land Legit Work-From-Home Jobs With This Expert Guide
- 11 Side Gigs You Can Do Entirely from Home
- Make Money While Social Distancing by Tutoring Kids
- States Are Hiring Thousands of Contact Tracers for Up to $30 an Hour
- Searching for a Remote Job? Try These 29 Work-From-Home Companies
Quick Ways to Make Some Cash
- NEW! Depop or Poshmark: Which Is Best for Reselling Used & Vintage Fashion?
- Here’s What Your Old Record Collection Is Actually Worth
- Declutter and Profit: Here’s Where to Sell Stuff Online for Extra Cash
- Cloth Face Masks Are In Demand. Here’s How to Make and Sell Them
- 5 Ways to Plum Your Talents for Money During the Pandemic
- With Incomes Down, These People Aren’t Buckling. They’re Getting Creative
If You Are (or Want to Be) Gigging It
- NEW! How the Shovler App Will Help You Make Money Shoveling Snow This Winter
- NEW! Need Extra Income? Take Your Pick From One of These 25 Best Side Hustles
- NEW! Shipt Is Hiring 50,000 More Shoppers Ahead of the Holidays
- Here’s What You Need to Know to Start an In-Home Laundry Business
- These 7 Christmas Jobs and Holiday Gigs Will Put a Jingle in Your Pocket
- Create Art, Don’t Starve: Ways to Make Money as an Artist
- These 6 Employers Offer Health Insurance to Part-Time Workers
- Why Seasonal Jobs Are So Competitive This Year — And What You Can Do
- Tax Prep Company Jackson Hewitt Is Filling 22,000 Tax Jobs
- Looking for a Seasonal Job? Here’s What’s Different this Year
- We Tallied More Than 550K Seasonal Job Openings. Here’s Who’s Hiring
- Kohl’s Is Hiring up to 90,000 Seasonal Workers. You Can Land a Job by Phone
- Best Buy Is Filling Thousands of Seasonal Jobs, Wages Start at $15/Hr
- Walmart, Target to Hire 150K Seasonal Workers. Wages Start at $15
- Amazon Is Filling an Additional 100K Jobs. Here’s How to Land One of Them
- UPS Needs 100K Part- and Full-Time Seasonal Workers. Here’s How to Apply
- DoorDash Launches Into Grocery Delivery. Here’s How the Service Works
- A Look at Shiftsmart: An App That Pairs You With In-Person or Remote Gigs
- Advice From an Uber Eats Driver Who Made $8,000 in One Month
- This Uber Eats Driver Made $8K in One Month and Documented It All on TikTok
- Ripe Side Gig Opportunity: Help Students with Online Learning
- On-Demand Moving Company Bellhop Is Hiring 4,000 Gig Workers in 23 States
- Childcare Is in Demand. Here’s What the Gig Looks Like During COVID-19
- How Rideshare Drivers Can Protect Themselves and Their Riders Right Now
- Use a Bridge Job to Get Money Coming in, but Don’t Stop There
- Get Paid to Help Seniors Sheltering in Place as a Papa Pal
- 5 Tips to Help You Make More Money at Your Grocery Delivery Side Gig
- Uber Fares Have Dropped 94%. Here’s What Drivers Should Do
- Instacart Needs Shoppers. Here’s How to Get Started
- Gig Companies Respond to the Coronavirus. Here’s What Workers Can Expect
- Amid the Coronavirus Outbreak, Some Businesses Flourish
- 5 Hospitality Worker Grants for Those Impacted by the Coronavirus Pandemic
Living the Freelance Life
Help for Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses
- Here’s What You Need to Know to Start a Food Business From Your Home
- How to Adjust Your Airbnb Listing to Ensure It’s Safe for Guests
- This Platform Connects Businesses With People Who Want to Support Them
- Shopify Strives to Boost Small Businesses With New App, Shop
- These 6 Emergency Grants for Artists Can Provide Relief During COVID-19
- This Small Business Resource Hub Can Help You Through the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Coronavirus Webinars: Free Resources, Advice for Small Businesses
- Here’s How Small Businesses Can Get Help During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Dear Penny: My Tenant Owes 4 Months’ Rent, but He Knows I Can’t Evict Him
- NEW! Unemployment Aid for 13 Million Americans Is Expiring. Here’s What to Do
- NEW! Underpaid Jobless Benefits: You Might Qualify for Back Pay
- Long-Term Unemployment Is Surging. Here’s What to Do If You Can’t Find Work
- Yes, You Can Get a Seasonal Job While on Unemployment. But There are Rules
- Extra Jobless Benefits Won’t Happen Any Time Soon. Here’s What You Can Do
- Unemployment Benefits Expiring? 13-Week Federal Extensions Are Available
- 7 Groups of Jobless Americans are Left Out of $300 Unemployment Boost
- Haven’t Gotten Your Extra $300/Wk Jobless Benefit Yet? Here’s What’s Going On
- Unemployment Boost: Here’s How Much – and When – Each State Is Paying
- First Round of Boosted Unemployment Funds Roll Out to States — Not Wallets
- Are You Eligible for the New Unemployment Boost? Your Questions, Answered
- What We Know About President Trump’s New $400 Boost to Unemployment
- A Lapse in Unemployment Benefits is Inevitable. Here’s How to Prepare
- Unemployment Benefits Expiring? 13-Week Federal Extensions Are Available
- Paycheck Protection Program Funds Get Replenished, Applications Reopen
- How to File for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance: a State-by-State Guide
- Here’s How Gig Workers, Freelancers Can Get Unemployment Amid Coronavirus
- These 15 Smart Tips Helped Me Survive Unemployment When I Lost My Job
- Dear Penny: Will I Risk My Unemployment if I Go Back to Work Part Time?
What’s Your Sick Policy?
- Major Employers Grant Paid Sick Leave to Hourly Workers Due to Coronavirus
- What to Do When You Need to Take a Sick Day – and Still Make Rent
- Coronavirus Bill Expands Paid Sick Leave. Here’s How to Get It
College and Kids Corner
- 3 Creative Ways Kids Can Safely Make Money During the Pandemic
- 17 Tips to Get the Most out of Your Virtual Internship
Whether you’re looking for a job or making the switch to the work-from-home life, we could all use a little guidance.
On the Job Hunt
- Use Keywords on Your Resume, and Other Tips for Digital Job Applications
- Looking for a Job? Here Are the Best Questions to Ask in an Interview
- 7 Remote Jobs that Will Make You Rethink Customer Service Work
- You Have Transferable Skills. Use Them to Land a Job in a New Field
- 9 Interview Questions You Should Be Ready to Answer About Working Remotely
- What to Put on Your Linkedin Profile if You Want Recruiters to Notice You
- Finding a Job Is a Tough Job in Itself. Stick to a Schedule to Stay on Task
- This Easy 3-Step Guide Will Help You Learn How to Write a Cover Letter
- Job Seekers: Here’s a Step-by-Step Guide on How to Write a Resume
- Wear Pants — and Other Tips to Prepare for a Virtual Interview or Job Fair
Learning Skills That Get You Hired
- Online Course For Contact Tracers Can Help You Land a Job Now
- 5 Online Certifications Will Help You Develop Your Soft Skills
- Codecademy to Teach 100,000 Unemployed Workers How to Code for Free
- 10 Courses to Help You Learn New Skills During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Making Work-From-Home Work for You
- These Home Office Essentials Will Equip You for Your Work-From-Home Job
- 6 Myths About Remote Work You (and Your Boss) Can Stop Believing
- How to Outsmart Slow Internet While Working or Learning From Home
- 8 Tips to Help You Survive Working From Home With a Pre-Toddler
- Switching to Remote Work? Prepare Your Home Office (And Your Mind)
- 7 Tips From Real Moms on Working From Home With Kids (and Doing It Well)
- 14 Simple Tech Tips to Help You Master Working From Home
Answers to Your HR Questions
- Boss Asking About Pandemic Travel Plans? Here’s What You Need to Know
- What to Do if Your Boss Wants You Back at Work… but You Have No Child Care
By staying calm and avoiding panic spending, you’ll emerge in better financial shape once the crisis has passed.
Around the House
- 6 Cookbooks That Every Budget-Conscious Foodie Should Check Out
- Spending More Time at Home? Maximize Your Space With These Tips
- Here’s How to Safely Make Your Own Disinfectant Wipes and Spray
- What to Do if You Have to Move During the Pandemic
- 8 Ways to Save Energy Now That You’re Working From Home All Day Long
- Skip the Store: 8 Homemade Cleaners to Keep Your Home Clean and Safe
Personal Care and Wellness
- Can You Save Money With Amazon Pharmacy? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Here’s How to Find the Best Air Purifier for Your Budget
- Want a Peloton But Don’t Have $2K? Here’s How to Make a Cheaper Alternative
- 13 Free and Effective Ways to Manage Your Stress Right Now
- How to Take Care of Your Mental Health Without Leaving Your Home
- How to Take Care of Your Teeth When You Can’t Get to a Dentist Appointment
- 3 DIY Face Masks You Can Make With Things You Already Have
- 5 Free Pedometer Apps for Counting Your Steps and Improving Your Health
- Thinking of Calling a Mental Health Hotline? Here’s What to Expect
- DIY Fitness Gear: How to Make Weights and Other Workout Equipment
- Have a Flex Spending Account? Here Are 50+ Surprising Things It May Pay For
- 9 Products to Help You Stay Active and Healthy While Working From Home
- Here’s How to Safely Remove Your Fake Nails
- Treat Yo’ Self… for Pennies: 24 Spa Treatments You Can Do at Home
- Stylists Offer DIY Hair Care Tips for a World Without Salons
- Want to Build a Cheap Home Gym? Here’s How to Spend Less Than $100
Your Transportation Needs
- Should You Buy a Car Right Now? Here’s What the Experts Say
- Instead of Cancelling Your Car Insurance to Save Money, Do These Things
- 3 Ways to Keep Rolling if You’re at the End of a Car Lease During COVID-19
What to Do About Your Travel Plans
- You Can Take a Vacation Safely During Coronavirus. Here’s How
- Itching to Start Traveling Again? Here’s What You Should Consider First
- Plane Tickets Are Super Cheap Right Now – But Should You Buy Them?
- Airlines Respond to Coronavirus with Bonuses for Frequent Flyers
- Plans Ruined by Coronavirus? You Should At Least Get a Refund
Keeping Yourself Entertained
- Quarantined? 9 Free Things to Do to Keep Boredom at Bay
- Bored? Anxious? 6 Ways to Save Yourself From a Retail Therapy Trap
Staying Connected to Family and Friends
- 10 At-Home Date Night Ideas for Keeping Romance Alive
- Here’s How to Host a Virtual Baby Shower Everyone Will Enjoy
- How to Protect Your Finances From an Abuser During the Pandemic
- 9 Ways to Help Family and Friends Without Digging a Hole for Yourself
- Dogs Are Isolating, Too. 4 Cheap Ways to Spoil Your Pet During Quarantine
- For Brunch or Book Club: 7 Free Services for Keeping in Touch with Family
- I Celebrated My Birthday Alone During Coronavirus. It Really Wasn’t Lonely
- 9 Cool Virtual Field Trips Will Let Your Kids Explore the World — From Home
- This Mom Shares 5 Brilliant Strategies for Home-Schooling on a Budget
- A New Homeschool Space Doesn’t Require a Shopping Spree. Here’s How to Save
- 4 Solutions for Affordable Academic Help During the Upcoming School Year
- Keep the Kids Learning at Home With These 12 Free Educational Resources
Shopping and Delivery
- NEW! Shop at Ethnic Grocery Stores to Save Money, Expand Your Palate
- Get Free Stuff Online by Joining a Local Buy Nothing Group
- Walmart Plus Launches Sept. 15. Will It Be the Next Amazon Prime?
- These 15 Grocery Stores Will Shop For You — With No Pickup Fees
- Can You Pay for Groceries Online with an EBT Card? Yes — Here’s Where
- Target Is Unrolling Free Fresh and Frozen Grocery Pickup
- Relying More on Amazon These Days? Stay Safe with These Tips
- We Broke Down the Top Grocery Delivery Services So You Don’t Have to
- How to Buy in Bulk the Right Way and Save Money
- Shipt vs. Instacart: Here’s How They Stack Up Against Each Other
- Should You Sign Up for Instacart? Our Honest Review Will Help You Decide
- Don’t Click ‘Buy’ Before Downloading These Chrome Shopping Extensions
- We Broke Down the Top Grocery Delivery Services So You Don’t Have to
Smart Saving Strategies
- Money-Saving Habits to Hold Onto Even as You Venture Out More
- Need to Boost Up Your Savings? Here Are 8 Ways
- 5 Smart Things to Do With Your Stimulus Check
- How to Barter: Getting What You Need Without Spending Money
- 7 Resources to Help Meet Essential Needs in the Face of the Coronavirus
- 5 Ways to Cope With Coronavirus Isolation Without Wrecking Your Finances
It may be tempting to toss your budget out the window during a crisis, but you need a budget more than ever amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- 6 Financial Considerations for Parents Thinking of Quitting Work
- The Pandemic Changed the Way We Buy Groceries. Here’s What to Keep in Mind
- 4 Post-Shutdown Money Moves to Make as You Adjust to the New Normal
- Dear Penny: I’m Stuck at Home With Dog Fever. Can I Afford to Adopt?
- Here’s How to Negotiate With Your Landlord If You Can’t Pay Rent
- This Advice Will Help You Make the Best of Your Coronavirus Relief Check
- Before Spending Your Emergency Fund, Ask Yourself These Questions
- 5 Tips for Adjusting Your Budget When You’re Facing a Crisis
Stimulus Check and Taxes
Here’s what you need to know about qualifying for and receiving a stimulus check.
The Next Stimulus Bill
- A Second Stimulus Check Probably Won’t Happen. Here’s Why
- 5 Burning Questions We Still Have About the Payroll Tax Suspension
- Will Trump Orders on Unemployment, Payroll Tax Mean More Money for You?
- 8 Payroll Tax Cut FAQs: Who It Would Help and How Much You Could Save
- 7 Facts About the Next Relief Bill: Latest on Unemployment, Stimulus Checks
When to Expect a Check
- Still Waiting on Your Stimulus Check? Here’s How to Report It Missing
- How to Get Your Coronavirus Stimulus Check if You’re Homeless
- Second Round of Stimulus Checks? Why You Shouldn’t Count on It
- 7 Situations Where You Could Get More Stimulus Money in 2021
- 9 Ways to Track Your Coronavirus Check if Your Status Is Still Unavailable
- Where’s My Coronavirus Check? 8 Reasons You Haven’t Gotten Your Money
- Here’s Our Most Up-to-Date Info on the $1,200 Coronavirus Stimulus Checks: 32 Questions Answered
Taxes: Filing, Refunds and How It Affects Your Stimulus Check
- NEW! Dear Penny: What Happens When IRS Finds Out I Haven’t Paid Taxes All Year?
- 4 Ways to Stop the Payroll Tax Cut From Lowering Your 2021 Paycheck
- Yes, Your Unemployment Is Taxable. But You Shouldn’t Panic if You Owe
- Still Waiting on Your Tax Refund? Here’s What You Can Do About It
- No, You Won’t Pay Taxes on Your Coronavirus Relief Check. Here’s Why
- Social Security and Coronavirus Checks: 4 Times You Should Still File Taxes
Child Credits and Dependents
- 6 Reasons You Didn’t Get $500 Stimulus Credit for Your Kid (and What to Do)
- $500 Coronavirus Payments for Children: How to Know if Your Kid Qualifies
- If Someone Owes You Child Support, Do You Get Their Coronavirus Check?
Errors, Scams and Stolen Checks
- Dear Penny: What Can You Do if Your Stimulus Check Came Up Short?
- IRS to Take Stimulus Check Calls. Good Luck Getting a Human to Answer
- You’re Supposed to Return Stimulus Checks for the Dead. What if You Don’t?
- Officials Are Warning About Stimulus Check Scams. Here’s What to Look For
- What Happens if IRS Sent Your Coronavirus Check to the Wrong Bank?
Investing and Retirement
Keeping your money safe — and holding onto as much of it as possible — is important, but remember that this is still a moment in your financial life. Take a deep breath, and check out how to manage your financial accounts.
- We Aren’t All in the Same Recession. How to Survive Your New Normal
- Why the S&P 500 Just Hit a Record Even Though the Economy Is in Shambles
- 10 Ways to Adjust Your Plans When You’re Facing Forced Retirement
- Dear Penny: I Got Laid off at 62. Should I Retire and Take Social Security?
- Why Taking Money From Your Retirement May Not Be So Terrible Right Now
- Everyone You Know Is Losing Their Jobs, So Why Is the Stock Market Surging?
- Dear Penny: Should Retirees Pay off Their Mortgage in a Volatile Market?
- Why Nursing Homes Can’t Touch Your Stimulus Check, Even if You’re on Medicaid
- 4 Ways to Invest Your Coronavirus Check (Even if You’ve Never Invested)
- Dear Penny: My Husband’s on Furlough. Should We Use 401(k) to Pay Off Home?
- Coronavirus Bill Makes It Easier to Tap Into Your 401(k). Should You?
- Dear Penny: I Just Retired. What Does Coronavirus Mean for My Savings?
- Don’t Panic: What to Do With Your 401(k) When the Stock Market Drops
Dealing with debt at any other time can be tough enough without the additional pandemic-related stress. Here’s how to deal with the bills right now — your future self will thank you.
- 4 Steps to Take Now to Reduce Your Student Loan Bill — Permanently
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Deciding if Student Loan Forbearance Can Help You
- Can’t Afford College Right Now? Here Are 3 Options to Consider
- Dear Penny: Should I Use Student Loan Forbearance to Pay Off Other Debt?
- 3 Ways to Tackle Private Student Loans if You Can’t Pay Due to COVID-19
- How You Could Get a Temporary Break From Student Loans Due to COVID-19
- Breaking Up With Plastic? How to Cancel a Credit Card the Right Way
- Put Away the Plastic? 3 Ways to Protect a Credit Card You Aren’t Using
- 5 Ways to Pay Off Credit Card Debt You Racked Up in Quarantine
- Is the FIRE Dead? 3 Ways to Adjust Your Financial Independence Goals
- Ask these 3 Questions Before Using Your Stimulus Check for Debt Payments
- Here’s How to Seek Credit Card Relief If You Can’t Pay Due to Coronavirus
- Crisis Leave You Unable to Pay Credit Card Bills? This Program Can Help
- In the Middle of a Crisis? 6 Ways to Manage Your Finances to Avoid Debt
Mortgage and Rent
- 8 FAQs for Renters and Landlords About Trump’s Temporary Eviction Ban
- Foreclosure Moratorium Extended Until End of 2020 — What It Means for You
- How to Figure Out if Your Landlord Is Allowed to Evict You Right Now
- Should You Refinance Your Mortgage Now? Here’s What You Need to Consider
- Is a HELOC a Good Idea — Even During a Pandemic?
- Here’s What You Need to Know About Seeking Mortgage Relief
Help for When You Can’t Pay Your Bills
- NEW! 25 Painless Ways to Save Money When Your Paycheck Is Already Stretched Thin
- 8 Pandemic Relief Programs Are Set to Expire. Here’s What You Should Do Now
- Many Hospitals Offer Financial Assistance. Here’s What You Need to Know
- Here’s How Telehealth Can Save You (and Your Doctor) Money
- Dear Penny: I Was Out of Work for 5 Months. How Do I Catch Up on My Bills?
- These 26 States Have Pandemic Rent Assistance Programs. Here’s How to Apply
- Use This Health Care Benefit to Pay Off Medical Bills — Even the Old Ones
- Stressed About Money? 4 Free Resources for Financial Advice
- How Do I Get an Emergency Loan? 4 Options, From Best to Worst
- Can’t Plan for Next Week? 5 Ways to Manage Money During Uncertain Times
- Falling Behind on Your Credit Card Payments? Here’s a Plan That Could Help
- Facing Tough Times? Here’s What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Bills
- Need Cash Now? Check Out These 3 Sources for Money
- Thinking of Delaying Medical Care Right Now? Here’s How That Could Cost You
- Think You May Be Losing Your Job Soon? Make These 5 Money Moves Now
Here’s what you need to know about protecting your credit score before, during and after the crisis.
- 10 Money Setbacks That Surprisingly Won’t Hurt Your Credit Score
- Dear Penny: My Car Lender Let Me Skip Payments, Then Said I Was Delinquent
- All 3 Credit Bureaus Are Offering Free Weekly Credit Reports for One Year
- Dear Penny: If My Credit Score Drops Due to COVID-19, Can I Recover?
When a pandemic hits, insurance can be more important than ever.
- Flexible Spending Accounts Have Changed During COVID-19. Here’s How
- Wedding Insurance: Protect Your Investment in Your Big Day
- 4 Telemedicine Options for Germ-Free Doctor Visits — Even Without Insurance
- Worried About College This Year? What to Know About Tuition Insurance
- No, Travel Insurance Doesn’t Cover Coronavirus. Here’s What Else to Know
- 4 Affordable Telemedicine Options for Germ-Free Doctor Visits — Even Without Insurance
- Driving Less Because of Coronavirus? You May Get a Refund from Your Insurer
- How to Get Health Care Coverage if You Lost Your Job Due to the Coronavirus
This might not seem like the ideal time for buying a house, but sometimes you have no choice. Here’s some advice if you need to buy — or sell — a home amid the pandemic.
- No Open House? Here are 6 Questions to Ask on a Virtual Home Tour
- Virtual Staging: A Less Expensive Way to Market Your Home
- 4 Things to Consider Before Buying a House During the Pandemic
- Should You Sell Your House During the Pandemic? Real Estate Agents Weigh In
- Dear Penny: We’re Broken Up but Stuck Together in Our Home Due to COVID-19
In addition to encouraging mobile banking to promote social distancing, many banks are stepping up to assist customers experiencing financial hardships.
- High-Yield Savings Accounts Don’t Earn What They Used to. Here’s Why
- Yes, Your Bank Deposits Are Safe — Even in a Turbulent Economy
- These Banks Are Offering Assistance for Customers Affected by Coronavirus (Updated)
It’s a stressful time, but making money choices with a clear head — before anxiety or illness can set it — can help you emerge from the other side of this virus without suffering financial devastation, too. Together, we’ll all get through this.
Tiffany Wendeln Connors is a staff writer/editor at The Penny Hoarder. Read her bio and other work here, then catch her on Twitter @TiffanyWendeln.