Manage Your Finances Through Tough Times With This Crisis Money Guide
Is it over yet? And by “it,” we mean whatever latest crisis has arisen in these uncertain times.
We at The Penny Hoarder are committed to bringing you ways to protect yourself, your family and your finances as we weather the financial ups and downs of 2020.
We’re continuing to add articles about how to make, save and protect your money amid the uncertainty. But we’re also addressing the tough money issues that arise after the worst has past — and your finances need help recovering.
We’ve rounded up topics that we think are most relevant to the situation we’re all living through right now. We’ll update it regularly to continue to bring you the most relevant information.
How to Protect Yourself and Your Finances in 2020
Regardless of whether you are directly affected by recent events or are dealing with the fallout from the latest calamity, you can use our strategies and advice to lessen the impact on your finances.
We’ve broken down our coverage into categories so figuring out how to deal with your finances can be one less thing you need to stress about.
It’s tough to survive any crisis if there isn’t any money coming in.
Where to Find Work-From-Home Jobs
- Check Out Our Expanded Work-From-Home Job Portal, Updated Every Weekday
- 25 Online Jobs That Will Help You Build the Life and Career You Want
- Don’t Get Scammed: Land Legit Work-From-Home Jobs With This Expert Guide
- 11 Side Gigs You Can Do Entirely from Home
- Make Money While Social Distancing by Tutoring Kids
- States Are Hiring Thousands of Contact Tracers for Up to $30 an Hour
- Searching for a Remote Job? Try These 29 Work-From-Home Companies
Quick Ways to Make Some Cash
- Declutter and Profit: Here’s Where to Sell Stuff Online for Extra Cash
- Cloth Face Masks Are In Demand. Here’s How to Make and Sell Them
- 5 Ways to Plum Your Talents for Money During the Pandemic
- With Incomes Down, These People Aren’t Buckling. They’re Getting Creative
If You Are (or Want to Be) Gigging It
- Advice From an Uber Eats Driver Who Made $8,000 in One Month
- This Uber Eats Driver Made $8K in One Month and Documented It All on TikTok
- Ripe Side Gig Opportunity: Help Students with Online Learning
- On-Demand Moving Company Bellhop Is Hiring 4,000 Gig Workers in 23 States
- Childcare Is in Demand. Here’s What the Gig Looks Like During COVID-19
- How Rideshare Drivers Can Protect Themselves and Their Riders Right Now
- Gig Workers:You Can Now Apply for $1K Grants, $150K Loans Through the SBA
- Use a Bridge Job to Get Money Coming in, but Don’t Stop There
- Get Paid to Help Seniors Sheltering in Place as a Papa Pal
- 5 Tips to Help You Make More Money at Your Grocery Delivery Side Gig
- Uber Fares Have Dropped 94%. Here’s What Drivers Should Do
- Instacart Needs Shoppers. Here’s How to Get Started
- Grocers, Delivery Companies Hiring 700,000+ Workers in Response to COVID-19
- Gig Companies Respond to the Coronavirus. Here’s What Workers Can Expect
- Amid the Coronavirus Outbreak, Some Businesses Flourish
- 5 Hospitality Worker Grants for Those Impacted by the Coronavirus Pandemic
Living the Freelance Life
Help for Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses
- How to Adjust Your Airbnb Listing to Ensure It’s Safe for Guests
- This Platform Connects Businesses With People Who Want to Support Them
- Magic Johnson Is Giving Minority-Owned Small Businesses a $100M Assist
- Shopify Strives to Boost Small Businesses With New App, Shop
- These 6 Emergency Grants for Artists Can Provide Relief During COVID-19
- This Small Business Resource Hub Can Help You Through the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Coronavirus Webinars: Free Resources, Advice for Small Businesses
- Here’s How Small Businesses Can Get Help During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Dear Penny: My Tenant Owes 4 Months’ Rent, but He Knows I Can’t Evict Him
- What We Know About President Trump’s New $400 Boost to Unemployment
- You Probably Won’t See Extra Unemployment Payments Until After Labor Day
- A Lapse in Unemployment Benefits is Inevitable. Here’s How to Prepare
- Unemployment Benefits Expiring? 13-Week Federal Extensions Are Available
- Dear Penny: How Do I Survive if $600 a Week Unemployment Expires?
- What You Should Do to Prepare for the $600 Unemployment Payment Expiration
- $600 Unemployment Payments Expire July 31. Start Preparing Now
- Paycheck Protection Program Funds Get Replenished, Applications Reopen
- How to File for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance: a State-by-State Guide
- Here’s How Gig Workers, Freelancers Can Get Unemployment Amid Coronavirus
- That Expiring $600 Weekly Unemployment Check? You Can Collect It Retroactively
- Laid Off or Furloughed? Coronavirus Stimulus Package Contains Money for You
- These 15 Smart Tips Helped Me Survive Unemployment When I Lost My Job
- Dear Penny: Will I Risk My Unemployment if I Go Back to Work Part Time?
What’s Your Sick Policy?
- Major Employers Grant Paid Sick Leave to Hourly Workers Due to Coronavirus
- What to Do When You Need to Take a Sick Day – and Still Make Rent
- Coronavirus Bill Expands Paid Sick Leave. Here’s How to Get It
- What to Do if You’re in College and Stuck at Home With No Job This Summer
- 17 Tips to Get the Most out of Your Virtual Internship
Whether you’re looking for a job or making the switch to the work-from-home life, we could all use a little guidance.
On the Job Hunt
- Looking for a Job? Here Are the Best Questions to Ask in an Interview
- 7 Remote Jobs that Will Make You Rethink Customer Service Work
- You Have Transferable Skills. Use Them to Land a Job in a New Field
- 9 Interview Questions You Should Be Ready to Answer About Working Remotely
- What to Put on Your Linkedin Profile if You Want Recruiters to Notice You
- Finding a Job Is a Tough Job in Itself. Stick to a Schedule to Stay on Task
- This Easy 3-Step Guide Will Help You Learn How to Write a Cover Letter
- Job Seekers: Here’s a Step-by-Step Guide on How to Write a Resume
- Wear Pants — and Other Tips to Prepare for a Virtual Interview or Job Fair
Learning Skills That Get You Hired
- Online Course For Contact Tracers Can Help You Land a Job Now
- 5 Online Certifications Will Help You Develop Your Soft Skills
- Codecademy to Teach 100,000 Unemployed Workers How to Code for Free
- 10 Courses to Help You Learn New Skills During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Making Work-From-Home Work for You
- 6 Myths About Remote Work You (and Your Boss) Can Stop Believing
- How to Outsmart Slow Internet While Working or Learning From Home
- 8 Tips to Help You Survive Working From Home With a Pre-Toddler
- Switching to Remote Work? Prepare Your Home Office (And Your Mind)
- 7 Tips From Real Moms on Working From Home With Kids (and Doing It Well)
- 14 Simple Tech Tips to Help You Master Working From Home
Answers to Your HR Questions
- Boss Asking About Pandemic Travel Plans? Here’s What You Need to Know
- What to Do if Your Boss Wants You Back at Work… but You Have No Child Care
By staying calm and avoiding panic spending, you’ll emerge in better financial shape once the crisis has passed.
Around the House
- Here’s How to Safely Make Your Own Disinfectant Wipes and Spray
- What to Do if You Have to Move During the Pandemic
- 8 Ways to Save Energy Now That You’re Working From Home All Day Long
- Skip the Store: 8 Homemade Cleaners to Keep Your Home Clean and Safe
Personal Care and Wellness
- 13 Free and Effective Ways to Manage Your Stress Right Now
- How to Take Care of Your Mental Health Without Leaving Your Home
- How to Take Care of Your Teeth When You Can’t Get to a Dentist Appointment
- 3 DIY Face Masks You Can Make With Things You Already Have
- 5 Free Pedometer Apps for Counting Your Steps and Improving Your Health
- Thinking of Calling a Mental Health Hotline? Here’s What to Expect
- DIY Fitness Gear: How to Make Weights and Other Workout Equipment
- Have a Flex Spending Account? Here Are 50+ Surprising Things It May Pay For
- 9 Products to Help You Stay Active and Healthy While Working From Home
- Here’s How to Safely Remove Your Fake Nails
- Treat Yo’ Self… for Pennies: 24 Spa Treatments You Can Do at Home
- Stylists Offer DIY Hair Care Tips for a World Without Salons
- Want to Build a Cheap Home Gym? Here’s How to Spend Less Than $100
Your Transportation Needs
- Should You Buy a Car Right Now? Here’s What the Experts Say
- Instead of Cancelling Your Car Insurance to Save Money, Do These Things
- 3 Ways to Keep Rolling if You’re at the End of a Car Lease During COVID-19
What to Do About Your Travel Plans
- You Can Take a Vacation Safely During Coronavirus. Here’s How
- Itching to Start Traveling Again? Here’s What You Should Consider First
- Plane Tickets Are Super Cheap Right Now – But Should You Buy Them?
- Airlines Respond to Coronavirus with Bonuses for Frequent Flyers
- Plans Ruined by Coronavirus? You Should At Least Get a Refund
- Coronavirus Cancellations: What to Expect, from Delta to Disney
Keeping Yourself Entertained
- Enjoy a Drive-In Movie Experience in a Walmart Parking Lot — for Free
- Military and Veterans: Take Your Family to Busch Gardens, SeaWorld for Free
- Quarantined? 9 Free Things to Do to Keep Boredom at Bay
- Bored? Anxious? 6 Ways to Save Yourself From a Retail Therapy Trap
Staying Connected to Family and Friends
- 10 At-Home Date Night Ideas for Keeping Romance Alive
- Here’s How to Host a Virtual Baby Shower Everyone Will Enjoy
- How to Protect Your Finances From an Abuser During the Pandemic
- 9 Ways to Help Family and Friends Without Digging a Hole for Yourself
- Dogs Are Isolating, Too. 4 Cheap Ways to Spoil Your Pet During Quarantine
- For Brunch or Book Club: 7 Free Services for Keeping in Touch with Family
- I Celebrated My Birthday Alone During Coronavirus. It Really Wasn’t Lonely
- A New Homeschool Space Doesn’t Require a Shopping Spree. Here’s How to Save
- 4 Solutions for Affordable Academic Help During the Upcoming School Year
- Take Back the Joy of Summer With These Free Virtual Camps for Kids
- Kids Home for the Summer? Check Out These 39 Easy Home Activities
- How to Figure Out Summer 2020 Child Care Plans Amid a Pandemic
- Keep the Kids Learning at Home With These 12 Free Educational Resources
- No Summer Camp? 4 Ways to Keep the Kids Busy Without Overspending
Shopping and Delivery
- These 15 Grocery Stores Will Shop For You — With No Pickup Fees
- Can You Pay for Groceries Online with an EBT Card? Yes — Here’s Where
- Target Is Unrolling Free Fresh and Frozen Grocery Pickup
- Relying More on Amazon These Days? Stay Safe with These Tips
- We Broke Down the Top Grocery Delivery Services So You Don’t Have to
- How to Buy in Bulk the Right Way and Save Money
- Shipt vs. Instacart: Here’s How They Stack Up Against Each Other
- Should You Sign Up for Instacart? Our Honest Review Will Help You Decide
- Don’t Click ‘Buy’ Before Downloading These Chrome Shopping Extensions
- We Broke Down the Top Grocery Delivery Services So You Don’t Have to
Smart Saving Strategies
- Money-Saving Habits to Hold Onto Even as You Venture Out More
- Need to Boost Up Your Savings? Here Are 8 Ways
- 5 Smart Things to Do With Your Stimulus Check
- How to Barter: Getting What You Need Without Spending Money
- 7 Resources to Help Meet Essential Needs in the Face of the Coronavirus
- 5 Ways to Cope With Coronavirus Isolation Without Wrecking Your Finances
It may be tempting to toss your budget out the window during a crisis, but you need a budget more than ever amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- The Pandemic Changed the Way We Buy Groceries. Here’s What to Keep in Mind
- 4 Post-Shutdown Money Moves to Make as You Adjust to the New Normal
- Dear Penny: I’m Stuck at Home With Dog Fever. Can I Afford to Adopt?
- Here’s How to Negotiate With Your Landlord If You Can’t Pay Rent
- This Advice Will Help You Make the Best of Your Coronavirus Relief Check
- Before Spending Your Emergency Fund, Ask Yourself These Questions
- 5 Tips for Adjusting Your Budget When You’re Facing a Crisis
Stimulus Check and Taxes
Here’s what you need to know about qualifying for and receiving a stimulus check.
The Next Stimulus Bill
- 5 Burning Questions We Still Have About the Payroll Tax Suspension
- Will Trump Orders on Unemployment, Payroll Tax Mean More Money for You?
- 8 Payroll Tax Cut FAQs: Who It Would Help and How Much You Could Save
- Second Stimulus Check Won’t Be Limited to People Who Make Under $40K
- Next Stimulus Check Likely to Include College Students, Dependent Adults
- We’re Probably Getting a Second Stimulus Check. 4 Big Questions We Have
- 7 Facts About the Next Relief Bill: Latest on Unemployment, Stimulus Checks
When to Expect a Check
- Still Waiting on Your Stimulus Check? Here’s How to Report It Missing
- How to Get Your Coronavirus Stimulus Check if You’re Homeless
- Second Round of Stimulus Checks? Why You Shouldn’t Count on It
- 7 Situations Where You Could Get More Stimulus Money in 2021
- 9 Ways to Track Your Coronavirus Check if Your Status Is Still Unavailable
- Where’s My Coronavirus Check? 8 Reasons You Haven’t Gotten Your Money
- Here’s Our Most Up-to-Date Info on the $1,200 Coronavirus Stimulus Checks: 32 Questions Answered
- Here’s When Coronavirus Checks Will Arrive if You Get Social Security, SSI
- What ‘Payment Status Not Available’ Really Means for Your Coronavirus Check
- How to Find Out Exactly When Your Coronavirus Check Will Arrive
- Here’s Exactly When You Can Expect Your Coronavirus Stimulus Check
Taxes: Filing, Refunds and How It Affects Your Stimulus Check
- Yes, Your Unemployment Is Taxable. But You Shouldn’t Panic if You Owe
- If You Don’t File Taxes, Sign up by Oct. 15 to Get a Stimulus Check
- It Just Got Easier for People Who Don’t File Taxes to Get a Coronavirus Check
- Still Waiting on Your Tax Refund? Here’s What You Can Do About It
- 5 Steps to Filing a Simple Tax Return So You Can Get Your Coronavirus Check
- No, You Won’t Pay Taxes on Your Coronavirus Relief Check. Here’s Why
- Social Security and Coronavirus Checks: 4 Times You Should Still File Taxes
Child Credits and Dependents
- Why Some People Are Getting a $500 Stimulus Check This Week
- 6 Reasons You Didn’t Get $500 Stimulus Credit for Your Kid (and What to Do)
- $500 Coronavirus Payments for Children: How to Know if Your Kid Qualifies
- Dear Penny: If My Boyfriend Is My Dependent, Do I Get His Coronavirus Cash?
- If Someone Owes You Child Support, Do You Get Their Coronavirus Check?
Errors, Scams and Stolen Checks
- Dear Penny: My Stimulus Check Came up $1,500 Short. Is My Ex to Blame?
- Dear Penny: What Can You Do if Your Stimulus Check Came Up Short?
- IRS to Take Stimulus Check Calls. Good Luck Getting a Human to Answer
- You’re Supposed to Return Stimulus Checks for the Dead. What if You Don’t?
- Officials Are Warning About Stimulus Check Scams. Here’s What to Look For
- What Happens if IRS Sent Your Coronavirus Check to the Wrong Bank?
Investing and Retirement
Keeping your money safe — and holding onto as much of it as possible — is important, but remember that this is still a moment in your financial life. Take a deep breath, and check out how to manage your financial accounts.
- 10 Ways to Adjust Your Plans When You’re Facing Forced Retirement
- Dear Penny: I Got Laid off at 62. Should I Retire and Take Social Security?
- Why Taking Money From Your Retirement May Not Be So Terrible Right Now
- Everyone You Know Is Losing Their Jobs, So Why Is the Stock Market Surging?
- Dear Penny: Should Retirees Pay off Their Mortgage in a Volatile Market?
- Why Nursing Homes Can’t Touch Your Stimulus Check, Even if You’re on Medicaid
- 4 Ways to Invest Your Coronavirus Check (Even if You’ve Never Invested)
- Dear Penny: My Husband’s on Furlough. Should We Use 401(k) to Pay Off Home?
- Coronavirus Bill Makes It Easier to Tap Into Your 401(k). Should You?
- Dear Penny: I Just Retired. What Does Coronavirus Mean for My Savings?
- Don’t Panic: What to Do With Your 401(k) When the Stock Market Drops
Dealing with debt at any other time can be tough enough without the additional pandemic-related stress. Here’s how to deal with the bills right now — your future self will thank you.
- What to Do if You Need More Money for College This Fall
- 4 Steps to Take Now to Reduce Your Student Loan Bill — Permanently
- Going to College This Fall? Here’s How to Plan Around a Pandemic
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Deciding if Student Loan Forbearance Can Help You
- Can’t Afford College Right Now? Here Are 3 Options to Consider
- Dear Penny: Should I Use Student Loan Forbearance to Pay Off Other Debt?
- 3 Ways to Tackle Private Student Loans if You Can’t Pay Due to COVID-19
- How You Could Get a Temporary Break From Student Loans Due to COVID-19
- Put Away the Plastic? 3 Ways to Protect a Credit Card You Aren’t Using
- 5 Ways to Pay Off Credit Card Debt You Racked Up in Quarantine
- Is the FIRE Dead? 3 Ways to Adjust Your Financial Independence Goals
- Ask these 3 Questions Before Using Your Stimulus Check for Debt Payments
- Here’s How to Seek Credit Card Relief If You Can’t Pay Due to Coronavirus
- Crisis Leave You Unable to Pay Credit Card Bills? This Program Can Help
- In the Middle of a Crisis? 6 Ways to Manage Your Finances to Avoid Debt
Mortgage and Rent
- How to Figure Out if Your Landlord Is Allowed to Evict You Right Now
- Struggling to Pay Your Mortgage? Here’s How You Can Delay Payments
- Should You Refinance Your Mortgage Now? Here’s What You Need to Consider
- Is a HELOC a Good Idea — Even During a Pandemic?
- Here’s What You Need to Know About Seeking Mortgage Relief
Help for When You Can’t Pay Your Bills
- How Do I Get an Emergency Loan? 4 Options, From Best to Worst
- Can’t Plan for Next Week? 5 Ways to Manage Money During Uncertain Times
- Falling Behind on Your Credit Card Payments? Here’s a Plan That Could Help
- Facing Tough Times? Here’s What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Bills
- Need Cash Now? Check Out These 3 Sources for Money
- Thinking of Delaying Medical Care Right Now? Here’s How That Could Cost You
- How to FInd a Free Financial Adviser for Coronavirus-Related Money Woes
- Think You May Be Losing Your Job Soon? Make These 5 Money Moves Now
Here’s what you need to know about protecting your credit score before, during and after the crisis.
- 10 Money Setbacks That Surprisingly Won’t Hurt Your Credit Score
- Dear Penny: My Car Lender Let Me Skip Payments, Then Said I Was Delinquent
- All 3 Credit Bureaus Are Offering Free Weekly Credit Reports for One Year
- Dear Penny: If My Credit Score Drops Due to COVID-19, Can I Recover?
When a pandemic hits, insurance can be more important than ever.
- Wedding Insurance: Protect Your Investment in Your Big Day
- 4 Telemedicine Options for Germ-Free Doctor Visits — Even Without Insurance
- Worried About College This Year? What to Know About Tuition Insurance
- No, Travel Insurance Doesn’t Cover Coronavirus. Here’s What Else to Know
- Is Now the Right Time to Change Health Insurance? 4 Questions to Ask
- 4 Affordable Telemedicine Options for Germ-Free Doctor Visits — Even Without Insurance
- Driving Less Because of Coronavirus? You May Get a Refund from Your Insurer
- How to Get Health Care Coverage if You Lost Your Job Due to the Coronavirus
This might not seem like the ideal time for buying a house, but sometimes you have no choice. Here’s some advice if you need to buy — or sell — a home amid the pandemic.
- No Open House? Here are 6 Questions to Ask on a Virtual Home Tour
- Virtual Staging: A Less Expensive Way to Market Your Home
- 4 Things to Consider Before Buying a House During the Pandemic
- Should You Sell Your House During the Pandemic? Real Estate Agents Weigh In
- Dear Penny: We’re Broken Up but Stuck Together in Our Home Due to COVID-19
In addition to encouraging mobile banking to promote social distancing, many banks are stepping up to assist customers experiencing financial hardships.
- Yes, Your Bank Deposits Are Safe — Even in a Turbulent Economy
- These Banks Are Offering Assistance for Customers Affected by Coronavirus (Updated)
It’s a stressful time, but making money choices with a clear head — before anxiety or illness can set it — can help you emerge from the other side of this virus without suffering financial devastation, too. Together, we’ll all get through this.
Tiffany Wendeln Connors is a staff writer/editor at The Penny Hoarder. Read her bio and other work here, then catch her on Twitter @TiffanyWendeln.