FEMA Is Hiring Residents of Puerto Rico to Assist With Hurricane Relief
The Federal Emergency Management Agency is hiring residents of Puerto Rico to help with relief efforts on the island following the devastating Category 4 strike by Hurricane Maria.
“FEMA is looking for individuals to work in customer service and logistics. If you are interested and a current resident of Puerto Rico, email [email protected] your resume and include ‘Puerto Rico’ in the subject line,” reads the brief job posting.
According to CBS News correspondent David Begnaud, the agency plans to hire 1,000 people to fill the positions.
Although FEMA’s call for applicants contains limited information, the agency’s website sheds a little light on what the jobs entail.
And if you don’t meet the requirements for this job, keep an eye on our Jobs page on Facebook. We post new opportunities there all the time.
FEMA Customer Representative
Customer service representatives serve as the agency’s point of contact for people who have questions about disaster relief assistance or need help filing claim requests.
Job responsibilities include:
- Providing information about disaster assistance to people over the phone and in person
- Verifying applicant eligibility for disaster assistance
- Providing information and explanations of Housing Assistance and Other Needs Assistance grants and other programs
- Processing applicant cases, recertifications, audits and recoups, and lodging reimbursement
Note: FEMA has a separate job listing for temporary, full-time customer representatives to work in Caguas, Puerto Rico. The pay is $11 per hour.
FEMA Logistics Specialist
Logistics specialists manage equipment for task forces during incident operations.
Typical assignments include:
- Moving and transporting good
- Loading and unloading trucks
- Reconciling bills of lading, shipping documents, inventory lists and property transfer reports for accuracy
- Maintaining the supply room
- Conducting inventories
- Receiving, inspecting, and distributing equipment and materials
- Providing mail services
These appointments are temporary.
Lisa McGreevy is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder. She loves telling readers about new job opportunities, so look her up on Twitter @lisah if you’ve got a tip to share.
The Penny Hoarder Promise: We provide accurate, reliable information. Here’s why you can trust us and how we make money.