This Company Sends Money To Californians Who Agree To Order Takeout Instead of Cooking
Our kitchens have been the real MVPs these past few months.
From tiny hot plates working overtime to broilers on full blast, our appliances have been cranking out some incredible dishes. And a ton of wattage, too.
You’ve probably seen your energy bill rise as high as your sourdough loaves, which is why a company in California will pay you to take a break and order in.
If you have a utility account with PG&E, SDG&E or Southern California Edison, which cover nearly every single county in the state, OhmConnect will give you cash to stay out of the kitchen and save energy.
OhmConnect is a free tool that will pay you to help save energy when the grid gets stretched. They’ll text you during these earning periods — which are called “OhmHours”— and your job is to simply use less power.
That means stepping away from the Instant Pot, bookmarking that banana bread recipe for tomorrow and giving your favorite local pizza joint a ring.
If you can successfully reduce your energy usage, OhmConnect will send you a check!
Here’s how to get a check from OhmConnect:
- Sign up for a free OhmConnect account here.
- Sync it with your online utility account through PG&E, SDG&E or Southern California Edison. You must have an online account with one of these electric companies to qualify for OhmConnect.
- Receive energy usage notifications during “#OhmHours” — high-energy-consumption hours that trigger non-green power plants to activate in order to support the overtaxed grid.
- Head outside or at least turn the TV off until the #OhmHour is up. Heck, you can even play games on your phone during this hour — just resist plugging in any electronics.
- Profit! OhmConnect rewards you with cash.
This all works because the California electricity market (or California ISO) pays OhmConnect to help them avoid turning on an expensive, dirty power plant. The company then passes the savings on to you.
#OhmHours only occur a couple of times a week, and in addition to earning money, you might see a reduction in your power bill each month, too — not to mention the benefits of getting some sunshine!
How to Maximize Your Earnings
Your earnings are based on how much power you save. The more you save, the higher your “status,” which helps you earn even more.
- Platinum status requires an average savings of 40% or more beneath your forecasts for at least 10 OhmHours. You’ll receive the 2x multiplier on your payout.
- Gold status requires an average savings of 15% or more for the past 10 OhmHours. You’ll receive the 1.5x multiplier on your payout.
Once you’ve earned rewards, you can choose to cash out or donate directly to your favorite charity.
Like we mentioned, this cool program only works for Californians for now, and you have to have an online account with one of the electric companies mentioned above.
Before you leave, be sure to read about how one San Diego resident made up to $487 a month by saving energy through OhmConnect.