Here’s a Weird Trick I Use to Earn Hundreds in Passive Income Each Year
Some of the links in this post are from our sponsors. We’re letting you know because it’s what Honest Abe would do. After all, he is on our favorite coin.
OK, this one is about as simple as it gets.
Companies like Google and Nielsen are hungry for data on web usage trends — what sites we visit, how long we're on Facebook and other stats. So they've started to pay regular people to share this information with them.
And the best part? Once you've signed up, you'll be paid in PASSIVE INCOME!
There are a number of these apps out there (and we've covered a few of them before). The way it works is you install the app on your smartphone and the company pays you for every month you keep it installed.
It doesn't interfere with your data package and you don't have to answer a bunch of survey questions every month. Just install the apps and forget about them.
If you download all these apps, you could earn an extra $300 or more every year! Not too shabby, right?
Here are the apps you need to sign up with…
1. MobileXpression for Androids (5.0 or below) & iPhones ($25+)
MobileXpression is a research company that studies internet trends and reports to their clients about the popularity of different mobile phone websites.
The company is currently looking for a few thousand of us smartphone users to share some of the websites we browse on our mobile devices.
All sharing is done with special software installed on your phone and it doesn't require any real work from you. You can also uninstall the software at any time if you decide you no longer want to participate.
This one can be downloaded on most smartphones/tablets. After you've had it installed for one week, you get to play an instant rewards game for a prize (everyone wins something).
I won a $25 gift card to Amazon, but some of the other prizes include iPads and Samsung TVs.
How it works…
1. Sign up at MobileXpressions on your Android here. You'll need to share some demographic information, similar to signing up as a Nielsen household.
2. Download the software. It's pretty easy and runs in your phone's background, just like any other smartphone app. The site says it will have no affect on your phone's performance.
3. Send your data. This step doesn't really require any work from you — the software automatically sends the relevant data to MobileXpression.
The company doesn't monitor your phone calls or personal information, but it does check out web pages you view, links you access and usage times for certain device activities (e.g., text messaging, call lengths and web browsing).
4. Collect your rewards. After it's been installed for seven days, you can play their instant rewards game — you're guaranteed to win something.
Here's a link for iPhone users.
2. Nielsen Mobile Panel (Up to $50/Year)
(Note: This panel is currently only targeting PC laptop users.)
You know the company that tracks TV ratings?
Apparently they also want to measure the popularity of websites and online videos.
From Nielsen's site:
“In order for us to report accurate data to the mobile industry, we use Nielsen's proprietary applications and profiles to measure the normal activity of your phone, tablet, or other mobile device. All data transmitted is encrypted and anonymous. All you have to do is download the Nielsen Mobile App or install our profile, depending on your device, and then continue using your mobile device as you usually do – that's it! The Nielsen Mobile software is undetectable and will not affect your device's performance or battery life.”
Want to give it a try?
1. If you have an iPhone, Nielsen will pay you $50/year to keep its app on your phone. Sign up here on your iPhone — you can't directly download it from the app store.
2. Once you've registered, the company will send you instructions on how to install the app. After completing installation, you'll be asked to restart your phone.
As a member of the Nielsen Mobile Panel, you'll earn up to $50/year just for using your phone like you normally do.
3. Media Insiders Panel (Up to $15/month + $5 Bonus after 12 weeks = $185/year)
This company has an ongoing project to help media companies better understand how consumers use, view and share TV, social, digital and mobile media.
Media Insider Panel's app “measures activities conducted on a device, such as sharing, viewing, clicking, chatting, downloading and more. The app also listens for TV shows, and, using technology of Gracenote, Inc., identifies which TV shows was captured.”
Also, at no time is a member's personally identifiable information ever publicly shared or released, nor will the company ever interact with you via social media.
If you install the app, Media Insiders Panel will pay you $5/month per device. And you can install the app on up to three devices. Plus they'll send you a $5 bonus after the 12th week.
Here's how to do it:
1. Sign up at Media Insiders Panel.
2. Install and activate the MI Mobile app on your device(s).
3. Watch your email for important information and instructions on next steps.
Here are the supported devices:
- Android™ smartphones and tablets running Android version 4.0 or greater, and aren't rooted. The Kindle Fire HD also is supported, but not the first generation Kindle Fire.
- iPhone®5, iPad®, iPad mini®, and iPod touch® devices running iOS 5.0 or newer.
Note: You've got be a US resident, 13 years or older and have a valid email address.
4. Screenwise Panel ($8 after first week, $2/week after that = $110/year)
The panel is designed to help Google better understand web and mobile usage — such as what times of day people browse, how long they stay on websites and use apps, as well as what types of sites and apps are popular (or not).
As a Screenwise Trends panelist, you'll add a browser extension and/or mobile meter that will share with Google the sites you visit, apps you use and how you use them.
Screenwise promises it runs in the background and won't slow anything down.
The company will give you $8 after you've been signed up for seven days, and you'll get an additional $2 every week after.
The “cash” rewards come in the form of gift cards (you can pick between Walmart, Papa Johns, Barnes & Noble, and a bunch of others).
You must install this one on Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox. Sign up for Screenwise here.
Good luck, Penny Hoarders!