Work From Home
Upvote This: Ranker Is Filling a Remote Copy Editor Position — Apply Today
Hey copy editors, here’s a gig you might want to upvote.
Ranker is looking to fill a remote copy editor position. The entertainment website publishes list articles that readers can upvote and downvote as they see fit.
As a copy editor, you’ll be in charge of making sure images receive proper attribution and the articles are factually and grammatically correct before they get published on the website. Your duties will include verifying facts and sources, spot-checking for plagiarism and using Ranker’s voice and style guide to ensure articles meet set standards.
Hours for this full-time, remote contract position sync with the copy desk at Ranker’s Los Angeles headquarters, meaning you’ll work 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. PST.
Copy Editor at Ranker
Pay: Not specified
- Proofreading and copy-editing material to ensure content is grammatically correct, fact-checked, free of plagiarism and maintains the website’s voice and style
- Using best practices to make sure images are properly sourced and receive proper attribution
- Being the final set of eyes on content before it gets published
- Reporting to and working with the home office in Los Angeles (hours fall between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. PST)
Applicants for this position must:
- Have at least two years experience in a copy-editing position for a high-profile entertainment, celebrity, movie or television publication (online outlets preferred)
- Have a minimum of two years experience in digital media
- Have a bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, film or related major
- Have experience using a voice and style guide to make sure copy is clean, fact-checked, bias-free and legally sound
- Have experience with cleanup projects that bring older content up to current editorial standards (preferred)
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Have experience using various content management systems
- Have experience working with search engine optimization (preferred)
- Be a problem-solver and great communicator
- Have a love of pop culture
Matt Reinstetle is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder.