2 MIN READ
15 Reasons Scrolling Through Instagram is Ruining My Bank Account
Have you ever bought something because you thought it would make a good Instagram photo?
I know. You think I’m kidding.
But a friend of a friend recently admitted to planning vacations with her Insta feed in mind. Sounds crazy, right?
Maybe I don’t go that far. But I’m definitely guilty of social media-inspired FOMO spending. You know, buying something to quell my fear of missing out…
Can you relate to any of my Instagram FOMO?
1. Every photo of a city I’m not in makes me want to buy a plane ticket, like, now.
That TPA to SFO flight doesn’t come cheap, but, COME. ON.
2. I can’t stop moving different places, because everyone is either hanging out on the beach without me…
3. …Or they’re falling in love over a snowman while I’m alone in Florida. #facepalm
4. When I’m alone with Insta on a Friday night and see concert pics, I immediately click over to BandsinTown.
I thought photography wasn’t allowed?
5. Everyone is definitely getting a new car way more often than I am.
You’re going to want to uncover those eyes…
6. Of course I need to hire an interior decorator and buy all new furniture.
I’ll probably need to hire someone to clean the place, too…
7. When it comes to food, I pretty much just do whatever Tasty tells me to.
Even when it means letting the other groceries go bad.
8. If I go out to eat, I want it to look like this every time.
Gotta buy wine. It’s good for composition.
9. I’m convinced I could nail this pose if I just had the right yoga pants.
Yeah, it’s definitely the pants.
10. And I’d probably be way more successful if I dressed like this.
Would you hire me in that outfit?
11. I obviously don’t run enough races.
So I’ll need a gym membership, running shoes, cute shorts, cute shirts, cute headbands and a cute friend.
12. If I’m really in love, my wedding will have to be very expensive.
Because how else would people know?
13. Seriously stalled on my bucket list. I think I need a life coach.
Or at least a new suit.
14. Is this kid better than my kid?
Definitely going to have to spring for those fashion pre-school summer preparatory courses.
15. My dog needs better toys if she’s going to be happy.
She doesn’t even have her own laptop. And I don’t even have a dog, so you can see how these two expenses will add up!
Dana Sitar (@danasitar) is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder. She’s written for Huffington Post, Entrepreneur.com, Writer’s Digest and more, attempting humor wherever it’s allowed (and sometimes where it’s not).