Dreams and Teamwork Could Help Student Athletes Win This $20K Scholarship
Some of us pull a muscle just getting out of bed while others can sprint across a court, track or field in a matter of seconds.
If you fall into the latter category or know someone who does, you may want to slow down for a second and listen up.
Foot Locker will award a $20,000 scholarship to each of 20 student athletes entering college in fall 2019.
Students must excel in academics and leadership, and display good character and sportsmanship to be considered for the Foot Locker scholarship.
If you’re not athlete, that’s OK. Check out our list of 100 scholarships that will help you pay for college, or you can like The Penny Hoarder Life on Facebook to discover other scholarship opportunities.
Enter to Win a $20,000 Foot Locker Scholarship
Running might be easy for you, but paying for college is hard — which is why you should apply to this scholarship if you’re a high school athlete.
To qualify for the scholarship, students must:
- Have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Enter college as a freshman in fall 2019 to pursue an undergraduate degree at a four-year school.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident of the U.S.
- Be involved in high school, intramural or community-based sports.
- Not work at Foot Locker in any capacity or be associated with the company through family.
An eligible student athlete also can be nominated for the Foot Locker Scholar Athlete program.
To apply, students must fill out an online application that includes:
- Awards, honors and any leadership roles.
- A test score from SAT, ACT, PSAT, or ACT Plan.
- Extracurricular activities and/or part-time jobs.
- Two 300- to 500-word essays.
The first essay question is: “Sports teach important lessons in leadership, teamwork, and sportsmanship. How have you embodied these qualities on your team and in your community?”
The second essay topic is: “Describe a defining moment in your life that has helped to shape your dreams and plans for the future.”
The deadline to enter is 5 p.m. EST on Dec. 14, 2018.
After applying for the Foot Locker scholarship, a select group of applicants will be asked to complete a video-chat interview.
Winners will be announced in April 2019.
One of the 20 winners will receive an additional $5,000 (a total of $25,000) for the Ken C. Hicks scholarship, which recognizes superior student performance in academics, leadership and sports.
Stephanie Bolling is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder. She’s pulled a muscle while sleeping.