So, let’s talk about how much we’re all totally looking forward to Tax Day!
Anybody? No? Well…
Even though we got a bit of a reprieve this year — Tax Day falls on the 18th instead of the 15th — lots of us are still dreading the due date.
In fact, Tax Day creates so much angst, many of us would rather scrub Chipotle toilets for three years than do our taxes ever again.
But before you grab your trustiest set of rubber gloves, wait a second! There’s a silver lining after all: free stuff and awesome deals.
Tax Day Freebies and Deals
To help make up for how terrible Tax Day is, lots of businesses are offering free stuff and special deals.
Here are 18 of the best from around the web to turn your Tax Day frown upside down.
Tax forms are way more annoying to fill out on an empty stomach.
Here’s where to get free food on April 18.
“Whether or not you’re receiving a refund this year, Great American Cookies is here to add some more dough to your life,” punned vice president David Kaiser.
Just drop by your local store and ask — at least you’ll be a cookie richer!
2. Hard Rock Cafe will hook you up with a free “Legendary” burger if you get on stage and sing a song.
Hey, after getting through all that paperwork, you can do anything, right?
3. Kona Ice has redubbed Tax Day “National Chill Out Day.”
Its motto? “No taxation without relaxation!” Swing by your favorite location for a free shaved ice.
4. Bananas Smoothies & Frozen Yogurt knows how crazy Tax Day gets for CPAs.
So if you swing by and flash your license, you’ll get a free smoothie on the 17th and 18th before the Tax Day deadline!
5. Boston Market’s got a delicious Tax Day special — get a half chicken individual meal complete with two sides, cornbread, a regular beverage and a cookie for just $10.40.
Get it? 1040? Don’t worry, you’ll stop seeing those numbers in your dreams soon enough.
6. Noodles & Company will give you $4 off your order of $10 or more if you order online or via their app and use the promo code TAXDAY at checkout — now through April 18.
And if you decide you need to get out of the house on Tax Day and head to your local Noodles & Company restaurant, your kid will get a free meal when you buy an entree. That’s $5 in savings — a great addition to the other deductions for parents you get to take advantage of!
7. Bruegger’s Bagels will hand you a Big Bagel Bundle (any 13 bagels and two tubs of cream cheese) for just $10.40, now through April 18.
Carb-load your way through the marathon of paperwork.
8. Schlotzsky’s will treat guests to a free small Original sandwich with the purchase of a drink and bag of chips on April 18.
And its “original” is anything but ordinary: It’s got ham, two kinds of salami, and three kinds of cheese.
Three kinds of cheese, guys.
9. Sonny’s has a cheeky deal for Tax Day: The IRS (that’s Irresistible Ribs Special), a rib dinner plate, will be half-price on April 18.
10. World of Beer will offer patrons a free pint — or $5 off their check, depending on your location — to celebrate getting the headache over with.
12. Arby’s wants to relieve your Tax Day sadness with a ton of great deals, like two gyros for $6 through April 20.
Tax Day got you stressed out enough to need a vacation or massage? No worries, we’ve got your back.
13. Kimpton’s Palomar Hotel — as well as its Monaco — in Philadelphia is offering a “Relax After You Tax” promo for a stay in their Presidential Suite, including a couple’s massage, sparkling wine and more for $1,040 when you use the code “TAXDAY.”
14. The Bahamas’ Grand Lucayan is offering tax season savings of 50% off three nights or more, plus a $100 resort credit. Book by April 20, and travel between Sept. 2 and Nov. 15.
15. The Hand and Stone Spa is offering a “Relax the Tax” 50-minute intro massage for $39.95 — and with about 150 locations across the U.S. and Canada, it’s likely you’ve got one nearby.
16. HydroMassage wants to gently melt your troubles away with a free 10-minute massage between April 18 and 22. Yes, please!
Tax Day Cleanup
Get those sensitive documents shredded — but don’t pay a dime!
17. Office Depot and OfficeMax are ready to shred your confidential documents when you’re all done with the Tax Day madness.
Just bring in this coupon to get up to five pounds of paper shredded for free (expires April 23).
18. Staples is running the same kind of deal. (Really) heavy tax year? Get your first five pounds of paper shredded for free on April 18.
Your Turn: Done filing? Which Tax Day deals will you treat yourself to this year?
Jamie Cattanach (@jamiecattanach) is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder. She also writes other stuff, like wine reviews and poems.