18 Tax Day Freebies and Deals: Free Beer, Burgers, Massages and More
So, let’s talk about how much we’re all totally looking forward to Tax Day!
Anybody? No? Well…
Even though we got a bit of a reprieve this year — tax day falls on the April 18 instead of the 15th — lots of us are still dreading the due date.
In fact, tax day creates so much angst, many of us would rather scrub Chipotle toilets for three years than do our taxes ever again.
But before you grab your trustiest set of rubber gloves, wait a second! There’s a silver lining after all: free stuff and awesome deals.
Tax Day Freebies and Deals
To help make up for how terrible tax day is, lots of businesses are offering free stuff and special deals.
Here are 18 of the best from around the web to turn your tax day frown upside down.
Tax Day Food Deals
Tax forms are way more annoying to fill out on an empty stomach.
Here’s where to get free and cheap food April 18.
1. Great American Cookies is offering customers a free birthday cake cookie to help them combat Tax Day-related stress.
“Whether or not you’re receiving a refund this year, Great American Cookies is here to add some more dough to your life,” punned vice president David Kaiser.
Just drop by your local store and ask — at least you’ll be a cookie richer!
2. Kona Ice has redubbed Tax Day “National Chill Out Day.”
Its motto? “No taxation without relaxation!” Swing by your favorite location for a free shaved ice.
3. Tony Roma’s is “writing off” a signature dessert this tax season. Guests who order an entree from April 15-17 will receive a coupon for a free Brownie Royale Dessert or Crispy Brownie Bite Sunday to use on their next visit.
If you’re a member of the Tony Roma’s Email Club, you’ll receive the coupon in your inbox prior to Tax Day.
4. World of Beer will offer patrons a free pint — or $5 off their check, depending on your location — to celebrate getting the headache over with.
Not really a food deal but hey, who says no to free beer?
5. Schlotzky’s will treat guests to a free small original sandwich with the purchase of a drink and a bag of chips on April 18.
And its “Original” is anything but ordinary: It’s got ham, two kinds of salami and three kinds of cheese.
Three kinds of cheese, guys.
6. California Tortilla is turning into a taco speakeasy. Use the password “tax crunch” while ordering on April 18 and you’ll get free chips and queso with any purchase.
Carb-load your way through the marathon of paperwork.
8. Sonny’s has a cheeky deal for Tax Day: The IRS (that’s Irresistible Ribs Special), a rib dinner plate, will be half-price on April 18.
9. Noodles & Co. will give you $4 off your order of $10 or more if you order online or via their app and use the promo code TAXDAY17 at checkout — now through April 18.
And if you decide you need to get out of the house on Tax Day and head to your local Noodles & Company restaurant, your kid will get a free meal when you buy an entree. That’s $5 in savings — a great addition to the other deductions for parents you get to take advantage of!
11. Boston Market’s got a delicious Tax Day special — get a half chicken individual meal complete with two sides, cornbread, a regular beverage and a cookie for just $10.40.
Get it? 1040? Don’t worry, you’ll stop seeing those numbers in your dreams soon enough.
12. McDonald’s is dubbing April 18 “Tax Relief Day” in its stores. Purchase a Quarter Pounder with Cheese or Big Mac and get a second one for .18 cents.
13. Hot Dog on a Stick is giving one free Original Turkey Dog to every customer on April 18.
If there’s one thing more American than taxes, it’s hot dogs.
Tax Season De-Stress
Tax Day got you stressed out enough to need a vacation or massage? No worries, we’ve got your back.
15. The Hand and Stone Spa is offering a “Relax the Tax” sale on treatments booked for April 18. You can get a 50-minute relaxation massage or Classic Facial for $39.95 — and with about 150 locations across the U.S. and Canada, it’s likely you’ve got one nearby.
16. Zeel offers in-home and on demand massage in over 60 cities and regions. They’re giving first time customers $25 off their first massage with the code “TAXDAY2017”.
Because leaving the house after you file your taxes is so overrated.
Tax Day Cleanup
Get those sensitive documents shredded — but don’t pay a dime!
17. Office Depot and OfficeMax are ready to shred your confidential documents when you’re all done with the Tax Day madness.
Just bring in this coupon to get up to 5 pounds of paper shredded for free (expires April 29).
Your Turn: Done filing? Which Tax Day deals will you treat yourself to this year?
Jamie Cattanach (@jamiecattanach) is a freelance writer whose work has been featured at Ms. Magazine, BUST, Roads & Kingdoms, The Write Life, Nashville Review, Word Riot and elsewhere. She lives in St. Augustine, Florida. Editorial intern Jen Smith contributed to this report.