Work From Home
An Award-Winning Tech Startup Is Looking for ‘Agents’ to Assist the Blind
With this remote job for Aira, your work will genuinely change people’s lives.
The award-winning tech startup is hiring “agents” to assist its blind and low-vision users in their day-to-day activities. Tasks could range from helping the users, dubbed Explorers, navigate locations to reading a children’s book to an Explorer’s kids. All assistance is done remotely over a live video feed using Aira’s software platform.
This part-time, contracted position allows agents to create their own schedules. Currently, the company is searching for applicants with weekend availability between 12 p.m. Friday and 10 p.m. Sunday local time or week-long evening availability between 2 p.m. and 10 p.m. PST.
Applicants must register online and complete Aira’s internal training and certification program. Some customer service experience is required.
Aira uses wearable technology on Explorers — like Google Glass or smartphones — to connect directly with Agents for quick questions, directions or general assistance.
Since its launch, Aira has received several accolades for its work with the blind community, including the New York Times’ half-jesting “Actually Good Tech Award” in 2017. It received Consumer Technology Association’s “Startup of the Year” award for 2017, as well as PC Mag’s 2017 award for “Best New Technology.”
Agent at Aira
- Assisting blind and low-vision customers via live video chats during their day-to-day activities, from cooking to shopping.
- Using available technology (Aira software, Google searches, GPS data) to best solve customer issues or questions.
- Conveying complicated directions into simple, actionable steps.
Applicants for this position must have:
- A residence in the U.S.
- A high school diploma or equivalent (some college preferred).
- High-speed internet connection, 25 Mbps download speed or higher.
- A high-performing laptop or desktop capable of running Aira software:
- CPU 4 Core.
- 8GB of RAM.
- 40 GB of hard-drive space.
- A Windows 10 or Mac OS High Sierra operating system or better.