12 MIN READ
These 100 Fantastic Senior Discounts Make Us Look Forward to Turning 65
I don’t know (yet), but I’ve been told there’s lots of good stuff about getting old.
Or, well, older.
Although it’s easy to dwell on the drawbacks of aging, we sometimes overlook the fact that senior citizens tend to have more of a lot of things — more confidence, more money (since they’ve already spent a long time working), and way, way more access to great discounts.
And, the minimum age for some of these senior discounts is sometimes as low as 50!
From food to movies to eye exams, we’ve gathered 100 of the best senior discounts from across the web so you don’t have to spend any time digging for them.
Your mileage may vary on some of these discounts, depending on your location.
That said, it’s always worth asking if there’s a senior discount, no matter what you’re buying! The worst thing that can happen is they’ll say no.
Some retailers, even grocery stores, offer senior discounts on specific days of the week, which vary by location. Call your local store to find out the best time to shop!
Also, a lot of these discounts require an AARP membership — which looks like it can easily be totally worth the $16 per year.
Food is good. Discounted food is way better.
Check out the following options for discounts on your next meal!
1. You’ll save 15% when you dine at Bonefish Grill if you flash your AARP card.
2. Bubba Gump Shrimp will knock 10% off your check with your AARP card.
3. AARP members, have it your way at Burger King — especially if “your way” involves a free cup of coffee.
4. Get 15% off your check at Carrabba’s Italian Grill with your AARP card. Excludes alcohol, tax and gratuity.
5. AARP members get 10% off their scrumptious meal at Chart House.
6. If you’re a fan of Cici’s Pizza, you’re in luck — many locations offer various senior discounts. Give your local restaurant a call to find out.
7. Claim Jumper restaurants offer AARP members 10% off their check. And just look at that chocolate cake! Yes, please.
8. Get 10% off your purchase or a free drink at your local Dairy Queen — varies by location, so call ahead!
10. Dunkin Donuts gives AARP card holders a free donut with the purchase of a large coffee, and there are some rumors about free coffee and other discounts for seniors who ask… although these decisions are apparently up to the individual franchise owner.
11. Fuddrucker’s offers seniors 55 and older 10% off their dinner platters.
14. Landry’s Seafood offers AARP members 10% off their orders.
15. Most McDonald’s locations provide seniors discounted coffee and beverages, but since they’re individually owned, check with your favorite location.
16. Mrs. Field’s Cookies offers seniors 60 and over 10% off the price of their entire purchase.
17. The Oceanaire Seafood Room offers AARP members 10% off their orders.
18. Old Country Buffet runs a Senior Club for guests ages 60 and up. Join for access to exclusive discounts and freebies.
19. Outback Steakhouse offers AARP members 15% off their check excluding alcohol, gratuity and taxes on dinners Monday through Thursday and for weekend lunches.
20. Ponderosa Steakhouse offers an exclusive, discounted senior menu.
21. Get 10% off your exciting dining experience at Rainforest Cafe.
22. Saltgrass Steakhouse offers AARP members 10% off their scratch-made meals.
23. Don’t want to bother with the grocery store, and sick of eating out? Silver Cuisine will send delicious, nutritious frozen meals to your home weekly, and you’ll score a 10% discount with your AARP membership.
25. TCBY offers those aged 55 and over 10% off their entire purchase price. That’s a sweet treat!
26. Village Inn offers seniors 10% off their checks, and some locations may feature a separate, discounted senior menu.
27. Wendy’s offers 10% off your order or a discounted drink at most locations. Call your local store for participation details.
28. Whataburger offers seniors a free 8-ounce coffee or a small drink with the purchase of a meal.
The kids are away at college, and you’re done (or nearly done!) with work.
What better time to see the world?
Turns out becoming a senior citizen comes with fantastic perks for those bitten by the travel bug.
All-in-One Packages and Travel Services
Take the travail out of travel and with these one-stop shops.
29. Collette Guided Travel offers all kinds of discounted packages to AARP members — you can keep up with the latest offerings here.
30. Grand European Vacations gives AARP members $100 off per person on guided vacation tours and river cruises, and lots of other discounts.
31. Vacations by Rail offers AARP members 5% off select railway excursions.
32. Expedia promises AARP members the best price on travel, guaranteed.
33. Book your flight through OneTravel to save $10 instantly and $15 on fees with promo code FLYSENIOR.
No matter where you’re going, you’ve gotta get there!
Here are great discounted travel options for seniors.
34. American Airlines states they might offer discounted fares in domestic markets to seniors 65 or over. Speak with the representative next time you book a flight for complete details.
35.AARP members save up to $400 on their British Airways fares, depending on which class they fly.
36. Southwest Airlines may offer discounted fares to travelers 65 years and older.
37. United offers senior discounts to travelers 65 and older — just ask when you make your next reservation.
38. Save 10% on airport parking with Park Ride Fly when you flash your AARP card.
39. Rent a car from Avis, flash your AARP card and save 10-25%. You’ll even get free unlimited miles with most rentals, as well as a waiver for a second-driver fee.
40. AARP members: Hit up Budget Car Rental to save up to 30% off base rates next time you rent a vehicle at a participating location.
41. Hertz has a “Baby Boomer” deal for those aged 50 or over. Just enter code CDP# 2007815 when you book to receive a discount.
42. If you’re taking your own car, make sure you’re all tuned up at your local Jiffy Lube — many of the franchise locations offer various senior discounts, but you’ll want to call ahead to double-check with your branch.
43. Taking the bus? Greyhound offers passengers ages 62 and over a 5% discount on their fares.
44. Carnival Cruise Lines offers discounted senior rates to those ages 55 and over, though prices vary by itinerary and the deal is subject to some blackout dates.
45. Grab your next vacation at Norwegian Cruise Lines and get up to $100 off with your AARP membership.
46. Royal Caribbean International offers exclusive senior discounts to passengers ages 55 and over on certain cruises — ask your customer service rep when you book.
47. Windstar Cruises offers AARP members 5% off published cruise fares, no matter your destination.
48. Amtrak offers seniors over age 62 a 15% discount off the lowest available fare.
49. Rail Europe offers discounted passes to seniors 60 and older.
Once you arrive at your destination, you want to be comfortable.
Luckily, many reputable hotels offer discounts to seniors — and some of them are pretty steep!
50. Best Western offers AARP members or anyone over 55 at least 10% off their stays, as well as enviable bonus extras like late checkout.
51. Choice Hotels, including familiar names like Comfort Inn, Quality Inn and Econo Lodge, offers 10% off advanced reservations to AARP members and seniors ages 60 or older.
52. Days Inn offers additional discounts on their Best Available Rate rooms to those 60 or older.
53. Hilton offers AARP members up to 10% off their room charges.
54. Hyatt’s Senior Citizen Travel Rates could save you as much as 50% in the continental U.S. and Canada.
55. La Quinta offers seniors and AARP members discounts of up to 10%.
58. Ramada offers seniors ages 60 and over a 10% discount on their stays.
59. Starwood Hotels, the chain boasting names like Westin and Sheraton, offers AARP members 5-15% off their best available rates.
The Wyndham Hotel Group offers seniors up to 10% off their stays.
What are you up to this weekend? This evening?
No need to be a homebody when entertainment’s available this cheap!
When’s the last time you sat in front of the silver screen?
Going to the movies isn’t as cheap as it used to be, but it’s still a magical way to experience cinema — and you can do it for much less than you could a few years ago!
60. Although ticket prices vary by location, patrons 60 or older can get discounted senior rates next time they visit an AMC theater.
61. Carmike Cinemas sells discounted senior tickets to patrons ages 55 and over.
63. Showcase Cinemas offer tickets to seniors 60 and older for just $6.50 every Wednesday — and you can grab a popcorn and drink for just $3.50.
Parks and Recreation
No matter where you are, adventure awaits.
And you don’t even have to spend much to get it.
64. If Shenandoah is calling your name, you’ll want to flash your AARP card to get 10% off your stay at its Big Meadow Lodge.
65. Want to have some fun in the Florida sun? Come visit The Penny Hoarder HQ down here in Florida. While you’re around, hit those coasters: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay offers discounted annual passes to seniors age 65 or older.
66. Huge bonus? That goes for Sea World, too!
67. That Florida trip wouldn’t be complete without a trip to the world-renowned Kennedy Space Center — AARP members save 10% off retail prices in its store or online.
68. Want to see the Grand Canyon — but not quite feeling the donkey ride? Grand Canyon Railway offers AARP members 15% off their scenic ride year-round.
69. U.S. citizens ages 62 or older can get outside with a heavily-discounted America the Beautiful pass to any of our beautiful National Parks. It’s just $20 and it’s valid for a lifetime!
70. Heading to one of the Ohio State Park Lodges? AARP members save up to 17%!
71. Once you have your pass, use your AARP membership to score a 10% retail discount inside parks like Yellowstone.
What’s the haps?
Be front and center with the following events discounts for seniors.
72. Want to see Cirque du Soleil? Save up to 20% with your AARP membership.
73. Ticketmaster offers AARP members 25% or more off tickets purchased in lots of four.
74. Get 15% off your next tee time booked through PGA’s TeeOff.com with your AARP membership.
Taking care of yourself is important, and it doesn’t have to be expensive!
As a senior, you’re entitled to some great discounted health benefits.
75. Target Optical has a fantastic deal for AARP members — save up to 60% on your exam, 30% on eyeglasses and 20% on contacts.
76. AARP members save up to 60% on exams and 30% off glasses from LensCrafters.
77. AARP’s discounted Hearing Care Program has a ton of great perks, like three years’ worth of free batteries.
78. Rite Aid’s wellness65+ program members get 20% off at Rite-Aid on Wellness65+ Wednesdays.
79. Walgreens hosts a Senior Day about once a month, and seniors aged 55 and over (and AARP members of all ages) score hefty discounts and bonus Balance Rewards points.
Cell Phone Plans
Keep in touch — and keep your cash.
80. AT&T offers AARP members 10% off their monthly services charges and 15% off eligible accessories.
81. Consumer Cellular offers affordable no-contract cell phone plans. And you’ll get additional discounts with your AARP membership — like a 5% monthly usage discount and 30% accessory discount, too!
82. Save $20 on your Cricket Wireless device with with your AARP membership.
83. T-Mobile offers some discounted phone plans for low-income customers under the Lifeline Program.
Retail and Miscellaneous
The best part about senior discounts is you can get them almost everywhere.
Here are some fantastic opportunities to save on everyday purchases.
84. 1-800 Flowers gives AARP members an awesome deal: 20% off any order, or $20 off any order over $79.99.
85. Keep your home safe with an ADT security system — your AARP membership will save you 20% on installation and equipment.
86. AARP members: Save 10% on select print and audiobooks from Amazon. Selections change monthly, so you won’t get bored!
87. Curious about your Ancestry? The popular online family history resource offers AARP members 30% off a year-long World Explorer membership.
88. Save up to 50% on select Kindle ebooks with your AARP membership.
89. And don’t forget to get 10% off the Kindle e-Reader you need to access them!
90. Get exclusive access to an AARP cash-back credit card when you join. You’ll earn 3% at restaurants and gas stations… not bad!
Stay fabulous in your golden years with these deals on clothing!
91. Banana Republic offers 10% off total purchases to seniors over 50.
92. Beall’s Outlet hosts a senior day, which will vary by location. Here in Florida, seniors 50 and older get 15% off their purchases on Tuesdays! Call your local outlet to find out when you can save.
93. Clarks offers seniors 62 and older a 10% discount on their shoes.
95. Goodwill hosts a Senior Day every Wednesday, so get your thrifting on midweek to score a 20% discount!
96. Kohl’s offers seniors aged 55 and over a 15% discount every Wednesday, as well.
97. Reebok Outlet Stores are the footwear vendor of choice for AARP members, who save 20% no matter when they shop! You can also stack this deal on top of their existing BOGO 50% off in-store sale options.
98. Your AARP membership gets you 20% off at Rockport Outlet, too… just in case you can’t stop shoe shopping.
99. AARP members can score a coupon book with over $1,000 in savings to Tanger Outlets — which includes popular stores like Ann Taylor, Brooks Brothers and Nine West.
100. Get 15% off general goods and services at The UPS Store with your AARP membership.
Your Turn: What awesome senior discounts do you take advantage of? Let us know in the comments!
Jamie Cattanach (@jamiecattanach) is a junior writer at The Penny Hoarder. She also writes other stuff, like wine reviews and poems.