RUN! These Stores Will Give You a Free $5 if You Buy Bread This Week
Some of the links in this post are from our sponsors. We’re letting you know because it’s what Honest Abe would do. After all, he is on our favorite coin.
Editor's Note 6/25/16: This post has been updated to reflect the promotion's extension.
Couponing to save money on groceries often comes under fire for two major obstacles: You have to spend a ton of time searching and clipping, and many coupons are for specific brands you’d never normally buy.
Checkout 51, a rebate app for your phone, solves both of these problems and still helps you save money.
Using Checkout 51, you’ll find non-brand-specific deals for staples like milk, bread, eggs and even fresh fruits and vegetables.
And instead of clipping coupons and holding up the checkout line, all you have to do is take a picture of your receipt when you get home. You’ll earn cash back for the groceries you were going to buy anyway.
Plus, this week Checkout 51 will give you an extra $5 just for signing up and buying a loaf of bread.
Want a Free $5? You Need to Buy Bread Before June 29th
This deal is only good until Wednesday, so you’ll want to jump on it now! I’m using the bonus to cut $5.50 from my grocery budget this week. Here’s how you can do the same:
- Download Checkout 51 on your smartphone and sign up with your email address before June 29th. You must be a new member to receive the bonus.
- Set your location to find offers in your area.
- Pick a bonus sign-up offer: $0.50 cash back when you buy a gallon of any brand of milk, a loaf of bread or bananas.
- Shop at your favorite grocery store and upload your receipt before July 20 to earn your bonus $5 cash back, plus rebates for the products you buy.
So I’ll sign up today and do my shopping as usual, including bread ($0.50 cash back).
Then I’ll upload my receipt for my $5 bonus.
That’s a total of $5.50 off my cost of groceries this week, with no changes to my shopping list and almost no extra work.
How Does Checkout 51 Work?
After you redeem your bonus, keep using Checkout 51 every time you shop! The app is a really simple way to save money on groceries.
Here’s are the details:
- Shop at any store. If you want to optimize your trip, browse your offers before you head out, so you know which rebates you can receive this week.
- When you get home, take a picture of your receipt with the app.
- The app will confirm your purchase and credit your Checkout 51 account with any applicable rebates.
- When your account balance reaches $20, you can cash out and receive a check in the mail.
Don’t forget — download the app and sign up before June 29th to get your $5 bonus.
Your Turn: What are your favorite tricks for saving money on groceries?
Dana Sitar (@danasitar) is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder. She’s written for Huffington Post, Entrepreneur.com, Writer’s Digest and more, attempting humor wherever it’s allowed (and sometimes where it’s not).