Work From Home
Like, Tweet, Pin: New York Media Needs a Weekend Social Media Editor
If you’re spending your weekends endlessly cycling through social media platforms, you might as well get paid for it, right?
New York Media, the parent company of brands like New York Magazine, Vulture and The Cut, is searching for a weekend social media editor.
This is a temporary, freelance position, and there aren’t any location restrictions listed on the job posting — that means you don’t have to be based in the Big Apple to snag this gig.
The editor will be responsible for attracting the weekend social media audience to New York Media’s content, as well as contributing posts and covering news as needed.
Aside from a lot of social media savvy, interested applicants should have experience developing and executing social media strategy and a background in publishing.
If you don’t quite meet the qualifications, or you’re just trying to take a break from social media (we don’t blame you), we’ve got other remote jobs for you. Go check out our Work-From-Home Jobs Portal. We post new opportunities there all the time — and we vet them, too.
Weekend Social Media Editor at New York Media
Pay: Not specified
- Contributing posts to New York Media’s multiple social media platforms.
- Monitoring social media for breaking news stories.
- Working with writers as needed.
- Live-tweeting and covering news events as needed.
- Identifying and developing best practices that attract weekend readers.
- Using website and social analytics to keep up with platform changes.
- Monitoring online trends and using them to increase engagement.
Applicants for this position must have:
- Expert knowledge of Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr and Reddit.
- One to two years of social media strategy experience.
- A background in publishing (previous role in editorial or public relations preferred).
- Previous experience creating content for social media.
- Stellar writing and editing skills.
- Ability to adopt New York Media’s tone and voice.
- Experience with social media tools such as SocialFlow, Bit.ly, Twitter Analytics and Facebook Insights.
- Understanding on the news industry and competitors.
Kaitlyn Blount is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder.