Tax Day Freebies and Deals 2023: Frequent Flyer Miles, Cookies and More
Tax Day traditionally falls on April 15, but because of a well-placed weekend and Emancipation Day, we all get a little extra time this year.
The deadline to file your 2022 federal taxes is April 18, 2023.
While that means three extra days to get your tax return in order, it also means more time to take advantage of some special Tax Day freebies and deals offered by stores, restaurants and other businesses.
And as we close in on the dreaded Tax Day, you may also want to take advantage of discounts and deals on tax prep software as well. There are a lot!
Tax Day Freebies and Deals
We’ve scoured the internet to figure out what companies are offering deals, discounts and freebies on Tax Day this year. Every little bit helps, right?
Retail Tax Day Deals
Most retailers offer discounts on specific tax software sold in-store, and others just offer great deals around Tax Day. Head to your favorite local grocery or apparel store around Tax Day to see what deals and freebies they have. For now, we’ve rounded up the following general Tax Day deals in retail stores:
Best Buy is offering several discounts off tax software, including popular products like TurboTax and H&R Block.
Buy TurboTax Deluxe for $10 off on Amazon and get a $10 Amazon gift card and a free one-year subscription to Quicken Starter Edition.
Walmart+ members can get 50% off Jackson Hewitt tax prep fees and receive a $50 Walmart gift card.
Tax Software/Filing Tax Day Deals
Talk about waiting until the last minute! If you still need help ahead of Tax Day, check out some of these deals on software and tax prep:
Get up to 13% off your federal tax return with TaxSlayer.
TurboTax is offering 17% off a product purchase.
If your adjusted gross income is less than $73,000, you qualify for free guided tax preparation through IRS Free File.
Get up to 15% off select H&R Block online tax filing products., $5 off in-store purchases and $5 in-store appointments.
Get up to 25% off your federal tax return through TaxAct.
Get up to 30% off tax filing through E-File.
Food and Drink Tax Day Deals
Celebrate the end of tax season with a free meal or a free round of drinks. Here are some of the best 2023 Tax Day freebies for food and drink.
Kona Ice has once again dubbed Tax Day “National Chill Out Day.” Its motto? “No taxation without relaxation!” You could swing by your favorite location for a free shaved ice.
Great American Cookies
Got a sweet tooth? Check out Great American Cookies for one free original Chocolate Chip Cookie on Tax Day. (This promotion has not officially been announced, but it is one that Great American Cookies has run consistently for several years. We’ll post an update as we get closer to Tax Day!)
Noodles & Company
Noodles & Co. Rewards Members traditionally enjoy special deals throughout each April in honor of tax season. While Noodles & Company hasn’t yet announced the specifics for 2023, we fully anticipate delicious rewards this year.
Boston Market is offering a Tax Day Special on April 18 only. You can get a Half Chicken Individual Meal with two sides, cornbread, regular fountain drink and cookie, all for just $10.40 (get it? like Form 1040?). No coupon needed.
Nestlé Rallies Nut Butter Bombs
You may be bitter about filing taxes, so grab yourself something decidedly sweeter. Now through April 30, you can get 25% off all Nestlé Rallies Nut Butter Bombs when you order through Amazon. Just make sure you use the code Rallies2023 when ordering.
Miscellaneous Tax Day Deals
If you have a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards account, login and click the link for TurboTax. If you file using that link, you’ll earn 1,000 points when you file by April 18, 2023.
Get massive savings on a new phone during tax season. Straight Talk has excellent Tax Day discounts when you upgrade to a new smartphone. The only problem? This one ends early: March 31, while supplies last.
Need to work off all that stress? From April 15 to 18, Planet Fitness is offering a free workout and HyrdroMassage at any of its 2,000+ locations across the country.
Potential Tax Day Deals
In previous years, we wrote about some of these Tax Day deals. We’re cutting it close to 4/18, yet these brands haven’t updated their promos as of yet. It’s worth checking their sites in the coming days, however, to see what Tax Day freebies you may find:
- Applebee’s usually has some delicious drink specials during tax season. Check back in as we get closer to Tax Day to see what Applebee’s is serving up.
- Bruegger’s Bagels previously offered a $10.40 Big Bagel Bundle deal, plus 20% off catering orders for pickup or delivery with the code “twentyoff.”
- When shopping for a used car, it’s a good idea to get a vehicle history report. CARFAX is not the only name in the business. Last year, ahead of Tax Day, Bumper offered 20% off vehicle history reports for anyone using that tax refund to buy a used car. We’ll update with details as we approach Tax Day.
- Bumper offered 25% off vehicle history reports for anyone using that tax refund to buy a used car. We’ll update with details as we approach Tax Day.
- California Tortilla used to turn into a taco speakeasy. The password “chippin’ in” while ordering on Tax Day got you free chips and queso with any purchase years ago, but last year it changed to “1040.” Check back before Tax Day to see if they’ve announced a new password.
- Cinnabon is known for giving out free treats with its Tax Day Bites promotion; however, the promotion varies by location, so be sure to check with your nearest Cinnabon before rushing out to cure that sweet tooth.
- Chuck E. Cheese previously gave parents a Tax Day break with some food and fun. They could get a large cheese pizza for free with the purchase of any large pizza – and if you said “I need a fun break,” you could get 50 free tickets as part of the spring break promotion.
- Dollar General has not yet announced a Tax Day sale, but the store historically offers great deals leading up to Tax Day.
- In previous years, Firehouse Subs offered a free medium sub with the purchase of a medium or large sub, chips, and a drink.
- The Hand and Stone Spa offered a “Relax the Tax” sale on a 1-hour introductory massage starting at $39.95.
- Hardees once had breakfast covered on Tax Day – all you had to do was stop by before 10 a.m. to enjoy a free sausage biscuit.
- Hot Dog on a Stick once gave one free Original Turkey Dog or Veggie Dog to every customer. If there’s one thing more American than taxes, it’s hot dogs.
- In previous years, you could relax on Tax Day with a drink (or two!) at Kona Grill, which was offering up to two House, Skinny or Watermelon Margaritas for just $10.40.
- Is ice cream more your thing? Marble Slab Creamery, the sister brand to Great American Cookies, typically offers a free Regular Ice Cream when you buy another Regular or a Best Value Ice Cream. Again, this is only good on actual Tax Day. We’ll confirm this promotion closer to April 18.
- Last year, Office Depot and Office Max offered free in-store shredding through April 23. Each customer could bring up to 5 pounds of documents to shred — as long as they had a coupon.
- Perdue Farms offered 15% off all online purchases from April 15-28, 2022, using the code TAXDAY22. The site offers a range of hormone- and antibiotic-free meats, including beef, lamb, poultry and pork, plus special product bundles. We hope to see this deal return in 2023.
- Schlotzsky’s treated guests to a free small original sandwich with the purchase of a drink and a bag of chips at participating locations on Tax Day – no coupon required. And its “Original” is anything but ordinary: It’s got ham, two kinds of salami and three kinds of cheese. Three kinds of cheese, guys.
- Sonic Drive-In has, in the past, offered half-price cheeseburgers all day long on Tax Day. What better way is there to eat your feelings about Tax Day, aside from washing it all down with half-price shakes, floats and ice cream slushes if you visit after 8 p.m.
- Sonny’s had a cheeky deal for Tax Day: The IRS (that’s Irresistible Ribs Special), a rib dinner plate, was half-price.
- Last tax season (April 1 to April 18, 2022), Smokey Bones loyalty members got a $10 off coupon for any dine-in or online order over $25 at Smokey Bones. Not a Bones Club member? You can sign up now and learn about upcoming promotions, including any 2023 Tax Day discounts and deals.
- Tony Roma’s was “writing off” some kickin’ shrimp in a previous tax season. Guests who presented the offer received a coupon for an order of kickin’ shrimp to use on their next visit. If you’re a member of the Tony Roma’s Email Club, you may receive the coupon in your inbox prior to Tax Day.
- Zeel offers in-home and on demand massage in over 85 cities and regions. During a previous tax season, it gave first-time customers $20 off their first massage for the entire month of April. Because leaving the house after you file your taxes is so overrated.
Contributor Timothy Moore has written about personal finance with specialities in banking, taxes and insurance since 2012. His work has appeared in publications such as Forbes, USA Today and WDW Magazine.